Easiest (cheapest) way to get into an Apple desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TWO2SEVEN, Feb 18, 2011.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have gotten more and more into Apple products lately. I started with the iPhone 3G, the the 4, and now an iPad. I already have an HP laptop, but I'd really like to get into an older/used Apple desktop. In a perfect world I'd go all out and get a new iMac, but it's not in my budget.

I have seen a few prospects on craigslist, but I am not really sure what to look for, good or bad. I don't need anything too crazy, just looking to get my foot in the door and do some basic stuff (Internet, music, video, etc)

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What is cheap to you? What is your budget?
    I would look for a 2009 MacMini or if you have the funds, the newest MacMini either refurbished or from eBay.

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Reiterating what Jessica said - you can't go wrong with a Mini. If you buy the previous version you can get them very cheaply. This is by a longshot the cheapest way to get into the modern Mac. You could pick up a PPC for next to nothing locally, but it likely wouldn't suit the uses of most today.

4. Cboss macrumors 6502

If you already have a monitor, keyboard, etc. then as mentioned before the Mac Mini is by far the cheapest Mac.

If you would prefer an iMac, then I would look for any one that has an Intel processor. It should be fine for the basics you mentioned.

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Older Apple laptop?

If you can afford it, any whitebook that's Core2Duo should be fine for most needs. Avoid the Core Solo models (1st intel generation). If you like games, avoid anything with less than GMA X3100.

I have a 3 year old whitebook, C2D, 2,2GHZ, 4GB RAM, 500GB hd, and it still runs everything I need, virtual machines, photoshop, the works.

The only thing it struggles with is showing HD on Youtube, though the same videos are always watchable in non-HD formats. And it edits HD video fine. It won't play any games that require discrete videocards, but these are 'wants' not 'needs'. Any laptop, PC or Mac, with integrated graphics will have similar issues.

6. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thanks for the opinions. After looking around online I think I would be better off waiting a little while and pick up a new Mac mini vs an older/used Mac. The price difference seems to be pretty small.

Thanks again!

7. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

One more question, would I be better of with a 1Ghz Power mac or a slightly faster Mac mini?

I'm assuming the mini, but again, I'm new to Macs.

Thanks again!

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Find an intel mac mini.

9. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

A Mac Mini is much, much faster than the Power Mac - not just slightly faster as you've stated. In addition, the Power Mac is using old (now unsupported) technology. Just get a new Mini or a newish preowned one.

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Only get an intel mac. Don't get any G3, G4, G5 or powermac. It's not worth it for you. If you're offered a Core Solo mac, it better be damn cheap.

Anything Core2Duo will be fine.

11. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

12. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Any opinions on iBooks? I have found a few around $200. For example

I know the RAM could use and upgrade, which I have found online pretty cheap.

Again, I realize this is not top of the line, but I am just looking for something to play around with until I can upgrade.

Thanks again!

13. Annerz macrumors regular

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant