Easiest / cheapest way to get windows (legally I mean)..?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Thunderbird8, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Thunderbird8 macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

I need a copy of windows simply to run one or two PC games such as flight simulators. I have no other need for windows at all and therefore am looking please for a recommendation of the minimum and cheapest option I will need.

All my professional work is done in OSX so the windows OS will only be loaded when I'm off duty and relaxing.

Is XP 'Home' the way to go?

Thanks guys!

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, XP Home is all you need. All I use Windows for is gaming and ExamSoft (law school exam software) and Home is just fine.

3. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

And the cheapest way to buy it is via. the OEM route. eBuyer.com have it for a shade under £55. Here it is. Exactly the same as the 'retail' version except no box and no support from Microsoft. It is designed for system builders but it is fine for a 'punter' to buy it!

HTH

- D

4. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Hi,

When you say 'no support' does this mean that the software won't update with the latest drivers etc? (Like OSX does..)

Sorry - I have not used windows for years...!

5. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I believe that means that MS won't support the product if you call and ask about it. I'm sure updates are included.:)

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Updates are included, they just don't provide you with the phone support as far as I'm aware.

7. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Sorry, yes that's what I meant, they won't provide you with technical support however Windows Update, etc. still works so you can keep it patched up.

Also, from a licencing point of view, you can only use the copy of XP on the machine you buy it for, i.e. if you upgrade your Mac in the future you should buy a new OEM version of XP.

Hope that clears it up!

- D

8. Thunderbird8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderbird8

Yes it does thanks a lot - saves me about a hundred quid!

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Attached Files:

10. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Never seen this one before......a Windows clone sort of based on NT5.......crazy stuff....

11. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

its still in development stages and it will most likely have a lot of problems with drivers and such considering that it still doesn't have a lot of features implemented/bugs worked out.

i'm waiting for a good stable release of that though in the future, and if it comes out as good as it is supposed to, i would consider switching to it

12. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Theres that beta software on the mac that lets you run windows progs natively, but hey.. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as mentioned above, just guy an OEM version. It comes in a cardboard sleve, as opposed to the boxes you see in product shots. No manual, just a CD and cd-key stickers. It usually says "ONLY FOR DISTRIBUTION WITH NEW COMPUTER HARDWARE SYSTEMS" and etc. This applies to the macbook/whatever, as it is technically a new computer system =)