Easiest DVD Screen Capture Method?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Makosuke, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

A search didn't turn up anything newer than a few years ago, and I've been having a remarkably difficult time finding a "quick and easy" method of doing precise and/or easy screen captures from a DVD.

Things I've tried:

VLC: Works, but recent builds have been crashing like crazy when playing DVDs, so are nearly unusable for that. (Anybody else been experiencing this?) Also lacks the ability to capture a precise frame, since there are no "step forward/back" controls.

MPlayer OSX Extended: Left to its own devices, can't handle playback of many commercial DVDs--it stops playing at the first title change, so is useless. If I use FairMount to unprotect the DVD I can play the .VOB files directly with it, which is semi-functional, but it also lacks precision--no single-frame step commands, and if you do a screencap when it's paused you actually get a frame or two later. Also, this leaves you guessing what part is in what .VOB file, and it chokes badly on multi-angle video.

DVD Player + screencap app: This also works, but I really just want the DVD frame, so I end up having to manually crop out the window border, which is time consuming.

My goal is to come up with a smooth enough workflow I can do, say, a half-dozen screencaps from a bunch of titles quickly, so my primary goal is efficiency. (It's for movie reviews, so it's even completely legal under fair use, if probably anti-DMCA due to the stupid encryption loophole). Secondary is to include deinterlacing and being able to more precisely select a frame.

Is there another option I'm missing here?

2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

3. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I was just gonna say Jing. Great on the Mac and Windows 7. It's free.

4. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

It's actually just Command+Shift+4 (not f4), but that doesn't work with DVD player due to the copy protection--try it, and you'll see a literal hole in your image where the DVD window is. Even if it did it requires manually selecting the capture area for every frame, which is more time consuming than necessary--same reason I hadn't gone with any of the similar screencap-that-overrides-copy-protection options.

I'll give Jing a try, though I don't like the "Must sign up for account to use it" requirement, since I have no intention of sharing the caps I'm doing. It also looks like I'll have to manually size the capture frame to the size of the DVD player window, but I suppose you only need to do that once per batch of DVDs if the window doesn't move...