Easiest iPad video converter?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 53x12, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

What is the best program (that is also easy to use) to convert videos that fit the iPad size/format? iSquint is optimized for the iPod/iPhone screen, right? Anything for the iPad?

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

4. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

5. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

Do Handbreak or Video Monkey allow you to convert the video to the 1024x768 screen size of the iPad? Or will it be converted to the iPhone/iPod size and then stretched?

6. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

I just downloaded Video Monkey and the only devices listed to convert to are:

-iPod
    -iPhone
    -iPod touch
    -Apple TV 1
    -Apple TV 2

So would you just convert it to the Apple TV since I don't see an option for the iPad specifically?

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's smart about it.

If you start with an HD video it will make it 1024x720, which fits the screen but with the proper ratio.

If you start with a smaller video (like, say, a 720x480 DVD) then it leaves it alone and makes a 720x480 file and lets the iPad re-size it. No reason to make it bigger...it'd just wast flash drive space.

8. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

So I'm going to sound like a geek here, but I want to clarify something.

Does it crop it to fit the screen? Or does it resize it? Because if it resizes it, then it'd go down from 1080p or 720p down to what we call 576p (1024x576) to preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio of the HD content (unless it's a HD movie that's even wider-screen). If it really crops down to 1024x720 then it's cropping off some of the content from the sides.

9. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Most of the video converters resize and maintain the original aspect ratio. Handbrake will allow you change the aspect ratio by cropping the sides (and/or top/bottom) but that's an extra step in the setup and not very straightforward.

The nice thing about the iPad is that it will crop the sides and fill the screen just by double tapping the screen. I just wish there was an intermediate setting so that a 2.35:1 widescreen movie could be cropped a bit to a 16:9 format, rather than the dramatic cropping needed to match the iPad's 4:3 format.

10. RKpro macrumors 6502

I really like handbrake with the default iPad preset. It takes about 20 minutes for me to convert a 40 minute standard definition video, on a Core 2 Duo macbook pro.

I've also tried Toast Titanium 11 a few days ago. It has some video boost feature that uses nvidia cuda to cut conversion times in half. 9400m isn't supported, but it worked as advertised with my 9600m gt. CPU conversion took 26 minutes with the standard iPad preset, and with video boost it took 13 minutes. But it made my mbp very very hot, with CPU and GPU touching 100 degrees C. And the file sizes were 50% larger than using handbrake, but the video did not look any better. Also the file that was done with video boost was nearly 100MB larger than the CPU only conversion for some reason.

So I'll continue to use handbrake with the iPad preset.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

My vote is for Handbrake!

It even has an iPad preset! :)

13. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

+1

14. ElysiumY2K macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

VLC app.

No need to convert, just drag and drop :D

15. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Quicktime will convert videos to iPad friendly formats.

Just open a video in Quicktime, then choose FILE>SAVE AS> and you'll see several options for formats/sizes based on the resolution of the original video.

If your original video is a high enough quality, you'll see options for iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, HD 480p, HD 720p.

Another option is to open a video in Quicktime, then choose SHARE> and it gives options for converting and importing to iTunes (although the Apple TV format takes a roughly 700mb AVI file and converts it to a whopping 4.5 GB file).

16. pdechavez macrumors regular

EXACTLY! I have the original free app that came out a while ago. Not sure if it's still there though...

17. shandyman Suspended

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

DVD conversions=Handbrake
    Everything else=Air Video.

I convert everything to mp4/m4v(or other), so that everything can be watched on all my devices - Windows laptop, iOS mobile devices and Apple TV.

19. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

20. archdelux macrumors 6502

Would any of these apps automatically convert videos stored in different folders placing the new video in the source folder automatically (without having me to select each video manually).

ie Ipad syncs my photos just fine, but the videos I take with my camera are in .mpg format and the ipad doesn't sync those automatically to the photos app for some reason.. so I am looking for an app that will batch convert my videos and leave them in the original folder so that I can browse them in the photos app with the corresponding pictures.

21. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Yep, this also works on all iOS devices except the ATV1 (25fps limit for HD)

22. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Yes, VLC and Oplayer app for iPad is great, you needn't convert anything, just drag the video into your iPad. But as I know some video formats just like Real media foramt and some high definition videos can not replay fluently. Maybe sometimes you still need to prepare a ipad video converter in case you can not go with stumble. I used Leawo Mac iPad Converter, nice tool, but not free. You can try it if you think it's interesting.;)

23. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

and it's free!