Easiest or cheapest way to clone hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by filmbuff, Feb 27, 2014.

1. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I just bought a 2006 black Macbook on ebay and first of all I have to say I am very impressed with this computer. I'm fixing it up so my Mom can use it for email and web browsing but after a day of using it I wanted to keep it!

Anyway, I bought it with OS10.7 installed on the original 120gb HDD and it came with no install disks, and the only OSX disk I actually have is 10.4 I want to replace with HDD with an Intel 320 SSD that I ordered on eBay. I'm wondering what the easiest way to clone the disk is, since I need to keep the operating system intact.

The tools I have at my disposal:
    Black Macbook
    My Macbook Air
    External DVD drive
    10.4 install DVD
    USB3.0 external hard drive
    a second USB3.0 external hard drive enclosure
    the 2.5" SSD

Suggestions?

2. revbarabbas, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014

revbarabbas macrumors regular

I'm assuming the USB 3.0 enclosure is for a 2.5 drive, so you can just stick the SSD in there and use "Carbon Copy Cloner" to make a bootable clone from the HDD to the SSD, then just replace the HDD with the now cloned SSD inside the laptop. Since you have all the tools it will be free. (you might need to buy some screwdrivers)

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Install the SSD and out the existing HDD in the USB enclosure. Then option key boot to the recovery partition on the external. Now start Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and erase the new SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then use Disk Utility to clone the HDD to the SSD as shown in this video.

Then restart to the SSD and go to System Preferences and in the Startup Disk pane select the SSD as the boot drive. Done.