Easiest Remote Desktop solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dadio2002, Sep 22, 2008.

1. dadio2002 macrumors regular

dadio2002

and I cannot stress "easy".

A very good friends of mine picked up a mac not to long ago and he is not computer savvy at all. He has moved to Montreal for school and im about 7 hours away. I currently use vnc but trying to get him to install vnc and give me his ip would be a PITA trying to msn him the instructions. What is the easiest way to connect to his mac with out trouble so I can help him set up apps and troubleshoot probems?? (for his sake)

Thanks

2. dadio2002 thread starter macrumors regular

dadio2002

Oh thank you.

I guess this is what a lot of support centers use.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You could simply get him to turn on VNC access on the Mac, then have him use No-IP.com to create a URL for his system. And it has an auto-update feature for his system.

TEG

4. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

? simple

Just use vnc, for his ip addy... just tell him to go to

Http://www.whatismyip.com

and bam there is his external ip, just tell him to plug his comp directly into the modem and bypass the router then you dont have to worry about any DMZ or anything

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've used it for years, to support my clients. Works great, no firewall issues, simple for the end user to run.

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Leopard: use iChat, and share screen. Simple.

8. nadyne macrumors 6502a

It's great (I use it all the time), but it's also expensive: $299 for management of 10 computers, $499 for management of unlimited systems. For people who are just looking to help out a friend sometimes, or maybe connect from one of their machines to another one, it's overkill.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I like TeamViewer because it runs on both Macs and PCs. Also, it doesn't require much involvement on the user end to get connected. Plus, using VNC, Apple Remote Desktop or iChat screen sharing may not work, if the user is having problems with their Mac OS installation, which is one reason they'd be asking for help. There are lots of useful tools out there. This just happens to be one that works for me.

10. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Really? I should check it out. Lots of windows buddies ask me for help but i can help them only by memory which is hard of you've stopped using them for almost a year...

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

depends if its the client or server version. the client version is included in Leopard and the Server version does a lot more than just VNC like remote installs, updates, managment etc.

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi