Easiest way scanning pages into a PDF

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xpytljkqnwmxds, Sep 27, 2011.

1. xpytljkqnwmxds macrumors newbie

I want to scan my multi-page class handouts and have them available grouped in PDF instead of having each individual page as an individual file.

What is going to be the quickest/easiest way to do this? Is there an app to do it?

2. howardnow macrumors member

ON A MAC (osX leopard and above).

If your pages are already a file (like doc, jpeg, you name it), first open each page in preview and save as a pdf. -Or- again if they are already a file of some type, just open the file, go to print (command P) and choose pdf in the lower left corner (pulldown save as pdf).

If you must scan, then most scanners will output the file to a pdf (select in preferences or output type from your scanner software). If you can't scan it directly as a pdf, just scan it and use one of the steps above to save it as a pdf.

Now that you have individual pdfs, they are easy to combine into 1 or more pdf files:
    1)Open the first PDF page in preview, do a save as (name_all.pdf).
    2)Choose menu_view sidebar. Repeat to select menu view sidebar thumbnails.
    3)Drag the next saved pdf file on top of the icon of the first page in the sidebar. Top file should look like a notebook after this.
    4)You can continue adding pdfs in the same way. Don't worry-just rearrange the tumbnails for any page order you like.
    BE SURE TO SAVE CHANGES to YOUR NEW MULTI-PAGE PDF
    (same file as step 1).

If you double up on a page you can delete it from the sidebar using the delete key or right click and choose trash or right click save as separate file to get rid of it.

I suggest before doing a lot of pages test save your file:
    Close it and reopen to make sure it is doing what you like. If the pages were in the sidebar before closing and are not showing up, it means you did not drag the missing pages (files) onto the top sidebar icon. You may have dragged it below the top icon. START and TEST again.

You will find this to be a great feature in Preview.

3. Sterkur macrumors newbie

Great scanning software

I use VueScan from Hamrick Software, available for Mac, Windows and Linux.
    Set it up to scan multiple pages into PDF, prescan and adjust and then scan all the pages. Then select Last page or similar and the file is saved.
    If you are making the files on a Mac then you can print as PDF and don't need any scanning.

I hope this helps. :)