Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donny Jeffcoat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2009
i have a G4 with an m-audio revolution 7.1 sound card. the speakers are cambridge soundworks 510D and the receiver is an old denon avr-1403.

i have an spdif cable but the problem is my speakers are "computer" speakers so i cant just go from the digital out on my sound card to the digital in on the receiver and plug my speakers/sub into the receiver.

here's a pic of the receiver:

AVR1403_dos_TG.gif

and here's a pic of the back of the sub on the 510D showing the inputs:

2056226645_50c7414c62_o.jpg

whats the solution?

fsckminix6

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
Chicago (847)
I dont think it will work... You dont have pre outs on that receiver. Whats the point of having a receiver plugged into computer speakers anyway?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I think I see "tape out" on the Denon.

Try that as the input into the Boston Acoustics speakers.

As I remember (I haven't had a tape recorder for years) tape out is at a fixed (line) level. But if the Boston Acoustics have their own volume control, you might be fine.

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
Maybe I'm wrong here but I don't see why the SP/DIF to SP/DIF shouldn't work... why would it matter that it's computer to receiver? I take the line out of my Mac Mini with a stereo RCA to r/w composite adapter and send it in to my stereo receiver, no problem at all.

I understand you've got nice gear and want to use it, but if you can't get it to work just go analog... :p

I really like this device too actually. You can USB into it (USB powered even) and then take the digital or analog audio out from there-

ADS USB powered Instant Music device

resize

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.