Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
Anything free or relatively cheap? A lot of stuff comes up on search, so I thought I'd get advice.

Nov 28, 2010
located
MPEG Streamclip

While the following guides are made for a video DVD as source, you can do the same routine with one .avi file or several. One has just to use the OPEN FILES ... option inseatd of the OPEN DVD... option, if that is understandable.

Get footage from a video DVD into an editing application
Video: Transcoding ripped video to a format iMovie understands (.mp4, 75s, 7MB)

If you have several video files, you can use MPEG Streamclip's Batch List:
msc_BatchList.png

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
I have the problem with MPEG Streamclip that I oftentimes don't get the audio from an AVI file.
I use Flip4Mac as a Compressor plugin. Has solved the problem.

Jack, if you don't wanna spend 100+ dollars for Flip/Compressor, there's a multitude of transcoders on the web. They mostly cost around thirty to forty bucks. Google for AVI to Mac.
But still download MPEG Streamclip. It's an absolutely versatile tool. Don't foget to install Perian before.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
there's a multitude of transcoders on the web. They mostly cost around thirty to forty bucks. Google for AVI to Mac.

I saw those, I don't mind paying for software but I was hoping to avoid spending that much for this one task.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
I don't know how deep you are into editing, and if you do it for a dime, but Flip4Mac as an addition to Compressor is a good investment if you have to deal with the dark side often.

----------

...but try Streamclip first, before you sink any money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.