Easiest way to convert movies to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bertelsen, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Bertelsen macrumors newbie

So I got a brand new iPhone, and I am simply stunned by the quality of the screen.

So I downloaded some trailers from Apple, wanting to see them on the Retina display, but I cant transfer them, iTunes refuses to that.

Then I downloaded Handbrake, but I cant find any settings for iPhone 4.
    Tried to alter the resolution myself, picture was good - but the sound was seriously spaced! We are talking slooowmo.

Any good tips on what to do, I want the quality to be as good as the source.
    Need to show off the screen to some of my friends ASAP. :D

BTW: I´m using a Mac(intosh).

2. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I use Handbrake and typically don't have any issues. Not sure what might've botched the sound for you. :confused:

3. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

4. Bertelsen thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I have no idea.
    The sound is the same when playing it on my Mac, so its not the iPhone.

I´ll guess I´ll try again.

5. Hissori macrumors member

I tried converting a 2 hour mkv file on handbrake but it only converted about 1 minute of it into mp4 format.

I was wondering if theres a setting I should hit, or is there a limit to the length of the video?

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

there are iphone 4 presets here for handbrake, never had an issue with them so far

7. Bertelsen thread starter macrumors newbie

Its this computer, it will amaze you!

We are talking specs my friend; 64 kilobytes of RAM, Motorola 6809E microprocessor etc etc.

State of the art.

@andybno1:
    Thanks! That did the trick. :)

8. djinni999 macrumors newbie

i'm sure there are some others as well, but i mostly use FileApp Pro. it handles mp4 and movs, all 1080p, perfectly. no need to convert at all. you need a program like DiskAid or iphonebrowser to send the files to the appropriate folder in your Iphone. it's not hard, try it.

9. shandyman Suspended

use airvideo, as well as live conversion on the fly streaming, you can browse all your videos and have them convert, get a batch of them going, it does the resolutions automatically dependant on the device you're using, be it a 3G/3GS, 4 or iPad, then it can even import it into iTunes for you so if you have videos set to autosync, they copy over automatically next time you sync, or you can just drag and drop manually. and if you set it up, you can even get it converting remotely, i can be at work and set my pc at home to convert videos, so when i get home and sync my iPhone, they are there ready to copy. :)

10. JunkLover macrumors newbie

if you want to convert movies for iphone 4, just try Handbrake or Free iPhone 4 converter(just use google search).
    you can try this formats:
    Video files in .mp4, .m4v, .mov video formats.
    Video: H.264 Codec, Size: 640*480 up to 720p, Bitrate: 2500kbps, Frame rate: 30fps,
    AAC audio Codec, Samplerate: 48khz, Bitrate: 160kbps, Channels: Stereo

I use H.264 VIDEO CODEC, 720p, .mp4 file format:D

11. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

12. tpg macrumors regular

ffmpeg. It's a command line utility, but it's really very fast and quite easy to use once you get the hang of it. Supports a shedload of formats too, much like handbrake. I use it almost exclusively for transcoding.

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yeah, just use Handbrake with the new imported iPhone 4 720p settings. Its point and click and you'll really like the results.

14. Al3x87 macrumors member

handbrake works nice for me too. i think you're phone it's not ok.:confused:

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

It's what a Windows machine tries to be like but just can't do it, because it Blue Screens before it boots up :eek:

16. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

17. iTouch macrumors 6502

18. Derek87 macrumors 6502

Goodreader?

another workaround is to just use Goodreader to play the movies that aren't in the "restricted iphone4 format." this has worked well for me and in many cases allowed me to not worry about having multiple versions of the movie around.

there is a free version out there (limited to 5 or so files -- this is what i use) and i think the full version is only .99 or 1.99.

highly recommended.

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I've never used AirVideo. Is it for all OSes such as Linux and Windows or just a Mac?
    I guess I've gotten used to Handbrake and its simple 4 clicks to convert a movie. Plus it also allows for queue processing. Meaning you can put many many conversion jobs in a queue, then leave it. Come back and they're done.

20. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

I've converted every episode of Curb your enthusiasm, The Sopranos, The Shield, The Wire and loads of other TV Shows/Films and have never had an issue with Handbrake (unless the source file is dodgy)