Easiest way to do this? (Flash based audio player)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by definitive, Apr 19, 2009.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I'm building a website which will have an on/off button (made in flash) that would play an audio loop. The website itself is html/css, and has about 5-6 pages. I want each page to seamlessly play this loop whenever I'm switching between each page. Is something like that possible, and if so, how? At the moment The way I have it is that whenever I switch between every page, the audio file starts from the beginning instead of resuming from the last place it was before I switched the pages.

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

You'll p* off your users if you force audio on them, be sure to give them an opt out, or better, opt in. Save you bandwidth, too.

Anyway, you can either open the Flash in its own tiny chromeless window, but of course some users prevent such popups. You could convert your site to frames, make a small frame on the top or bottom just for the player, so it is always resident, and open all links and other pages in the other frame window. Frames is the way to go for most folks.

This means the player can just play, regardless of what else is going on. Think Rhapsody.com.

The last option is something I've always wanted to try, but it's so complex it's likely not worth doing - Ajaxify the entire site so a div containing the player always stays in the same position, everything else is updated in place via Ajax. I made this sound easier than it really is, and I only mentioned it for the gurus out there to take notice.

-jim