Easiest Way To Do This?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FatalSylence, Oct 26, 2010.

1. FatalSylence macrumors newbie

Hey, guys.

I have an iPhone 3gs with Firmware 3.1.2 (somewhere around that.) And I was wondering what the easiest way to upgrade to 4.1 is while still preserving baseband? Such that I can unlock the phone and use it with whomever I would want to. There's so many different routes here, but I Want to take the right one and not upgrade to 4.1 with upgraded baseband and what not.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Fatal.

Edit: I have access to either Mac or PC.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

There is only one good way to do what you want and that is to use pwnage tool 4.1.2. It runs only on the MAC and it enables you to create a custom IPSW that you restore too. Things to watch with using this tool is that you must follow the process at the end of the IPSW creation to put the phone in DFU mode. If you fail to do this and put in DFU outside of this process you will get a 1600 error when you try to restore.

The custom ipsw upate only the firmware and not the baseband.

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

There's not 'so many routes', the only way to do it is pwnage tools.

4. FatalSylence thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I installed pwnage tool, got the official 4.1 IPSW. I made my custom IPSW and restored the iPhone. Everything seemed to be going good, until it got to the rebooting part. As seen in the picture below, it just stays at that screen. It's been over an hour and the phone has not changed from that screen. Well, actually what it does is have the Apple logo, then have the Apple logo with the loading icon, and then it reboots after 30 minutes and does it all over again.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

[​IMG]