Easiest way to enable internet tethering on a 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wacky4alanis, Apr 14, 2010.

1. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I have a 3GS running 3.1.2
    Carrier 5.6
    Firmware 5.11.07
    Serial is XXX38XXXXXX

This iPhone has never been jailbroken or unlocked in the past.

From what I have read, it sounds like I can jailbreak and enable tethering to provide internet for my laptop. I would like to do the minimum possible to accomplish tethering. I have no immediate need for any of the other features of jailbreaking. I would like to be able to tether via bluetooth if possible (no wires), but if that's not possible, a USB tether would be OK.

Unfortunately, after reading the sticky threads, it was not obvious to me which tool(s) I should use to accomplish this task. Any help for my specific case would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Use Redsnow to jailbreak.
    Then install Mywi thru cydia.
    Get the Mywi without Rock.

3. wacky4alanis thread starter macrumors 6502

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

+21000. :) I used to do all the hacks, but MyWi is the way to go. Make sure you add a password to your "hotspot" or you may have others using your link.

5. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Can you please report back how it all went down for you?

I am also interested in this exact same method of Internet tethering.

I have very similar specs as your phone,

except baseband is the older 4.26.08 (does this make any difference? or conflict?)

and Carrier is "Rogers 5.0"

does it have to be at "5.6"??

I don't know these things

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, it won't matter.
    Mywi will take care of everything.

7. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

And remember, once you have MyWi installed, if you want to use USB or Bluetooth tething, you don't even have to launch the MyWi application at all. The app will change your settings and you can go in through the regular Settings, General, Network, Internet Tethering and it will be available. MyWi use for a wifi hotspot is required though.

It's very cool, but as mentioned definitely get the "Without Rock" version.

8. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Cool! thanks so much guys, I have to give this one a whirl! while I still have my "unlimited data promotion" for another month :p

EDit: HA! it worked! I am typing this through a USB cable 3G signal from my iphone that my desktop PC is tethered to:p

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Congrats!! Ain't JB'n fun??

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sweet :D
    Congrats bro.

11. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Thanks again guys, pretty damn cool!

Earlier this week, using the Skype App (Skype to Skype) I had an hour long phone conversation (crystal clear mind you!!) with a friend all the way in Eastern Europe (I'm in Canada) while Riding my Mountain Bike in the trails, thanks to Voipover3G!!

And now I can use my phone as an internet modem! for my laptop and desktop PC!

Jailbreaking and 3G network for the WIN!!

Check this out! :rolleyes:

12. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

But doesn't MyWi use WEP instead of WPA? Anyone with a small bit of know how can hop on your hotspot anyway and/or sniff your network traffic no?

I only ask because I'd like to tether my iPad but I am leery about using WEP. :)

13. wacky4alanis thread starter macrumors 6502

So I finally got around to attempting this and it went very smoothly :) Thanks for all of the help! I actually wussed out and did it on my old 3G. I figure on the occasions I need to use this feature, I can just swap my SIM card into the 3G. My 3GS is only 4 months old, and I was paranoid about messing with it. Considering how easy it was, I probably shouldn't have worried LOL

14. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Use a decent password and I'm sure you won't have any problems. It's not like the iPhone is putting out a strong signal, so I think you're safe. I sure don't worry about it.

15. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Well, I can tell you that password length/composition doesn't matter. WEP uses RC4 which can be broken in under 60 seconds. It doesn't matter if it puts out a strong signal, anyone with a decent directional antenna in a populated area like mine (NYC) can have a field day, which is why I ask. :)