Easiest Way to Expand Bootcamp Partition?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joeholl1979, Mar 1, 2013.

1. joeholl1979 macrumors member

When I bought my new iMac in January, I highly underestimated how much hard drive space I would need for my Bootcamp Windows partition. I allocated 100GB, and it now only has just over 1GB of free space.

I was going to buy an external hard drive, but I just read a thread that basically says that Windows is not set up to run from an external drive.

With that said, what is the easiest way for me to expand my Bootcamp drive with more space? I purchased Camptune X, only to find out that it doesn't work with the Fusion Drive.

What are my options? P.S. sorry if this is answered in another thread somewhere!

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I am not sure if this works but if you backup your stuff before you might be lucky.
    Normally Disk Utility can't resize a NTFS disk but it might be possible with Paragon's NTFS driver, it's a free trail, so no money lost on this.

But, backup before, I warned you.

3. boto macrumors 6502

boto

You can use winclone to resize your drive. You will need to backup your data first and create a brand new bootcamp partition then migrate your information over. All of your data and settings will remain exactly as before.

Just a warning if you do plan on purchasing the software... Make sure you check for disk errors before initiating the backup process to avoid getting errors when migrating your information.