Easiest way to go from a 2011 to a 2012 MBA is...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ZBoater, Jun 14, 2012.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

... restoring a backup from Time Capsule? Will that even work? I am guessing some video drivers need to be updated, but I am thinking the version of OS X Lion in the new MBAs is slightly different.

And on that note, how about restoring a Winclone image?

2. dona83 macrumors regular

Thunderbolt cable. Easy and thunder er lightning quick.

3. cnixon macrumors member

I've been used the same Time Machine back-up across my 2010 11 inch MBA, 2011 13 inch MBP, and my 2011 13 inch MBA, and I've never had any OSX compatability issues.

4. ZBoater, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I bit the bullet and got the new MBA home. I started the Migration Assistant from my Time Machine, and it says its going to take 14 hours (over a standard wired ethernet connection). I tried doing a straight restore from backup, but it wouldn't let me saying the backup was made on another model Mac.

EDiT: Just now checked it 5 minutes later and it says 3 hours 41 minutes. Must have been some glitch calculating time. Now I can play with it at 2am instead of 9am tomorrow.... :D

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Exactly. It's the first time I ever got to use Migration Assistant using a direct connection (I had previously used a Time Capsule backup). It was the quickest I had ever been up and running.

6. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Zboater: I smile every time I look at your avatar picture. :D

7. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's the same face I made when I FINALLY got done restoring and backing up my new MBA 14 hours AFTER I bought it... YESSSSSSS!!!!!!

The Thunderbolt cable doesn't seem that expensive to me anymore... :eek: