Easiest way to keep home and remote drives in sync?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dolphin842, May 15, 2008.

1. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Hi all,

I've got an intel iMac I use as my main computer. From time to time I also need to work off of a MacBook, which is someone else's main computer.

Here's what I want to do:
    - Use the MacBook by booting off of a bus-powered drive, and
    - Have the moved/changed/new/deleted stuff during that session accurately sync back to my iMac whenever I hook the external back into 'home base.'

Ideally, I'd like to do this while the iMac is running (i.e. not having to boot from the external, sync to iMac, then boot the iMac). My question is: what software would provide this functionality in the most trouble-free manner?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Take a look at Chronosync - it works for me in a similar situation

3. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

Or

If you are cheap (like me) and feel like learning something new, the Unix tool rsync can do all of what you mentioned and more. Otherwise, Chronosync is an excellent choice.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Second Chronosync.. I use to use SyncToy on the windows side and this pretty much filled the gap on the Mac side of things. With it you can also transfer files between a Mac and Windows..... just in case you need this.

5. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the ChronoSync recommendation; I've heard good things about it from others, so I'll check into it.