Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
A year or so agoI created demo DVD (I'm a musician) using iMovie and iDVD. There were HUGE amounts of files along with tons of customizing I did in iDVD, and it would be far too time consuming to recreate the project. I have several copies of it and I'd simply like to make duplicates. I do not have an external DVD drive, just the superdrive inside my G5. Any help?

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Do you have a copy of Toast? If so, there is an option to make a DVD copy in it.

Or the harder route in Disk Utility:

Insert the CD or DVD disc
Choose File > New > "Disk Image from [name of disc]."
Type a name for the disk image.
Choose "compressed" or "read-only" from the Image Format pop-up menu.
Choose "compressed" to create a smaller disk image, and choose "read-only" to create a disk image that's quicker to create and open.

Click Save.
After Disk Utility creates the disk image, eject the original CD or DVD.
Select the disk image in the list of disks and volumes, and choose Images > Burn.
When the Burn Disc dialog appears, insert a blank CD or DVD, and then click Burn.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
A year or so agoI created demo DVD (I'm a musician) using iMovie and iDVD. There were HUGE amounts of files along with tons of customizing I did in iDVD, and it would be far too time consuming to recreate the project. I have several copies of it and I'd simply like to make duplicates. I do not have an external DVD drive, just the superdrive inside my G5. Any help?
Use Disk Utility to create a .dmg of the DVD. You can then burn to DVD when you need another copy.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Yes.

But next time you create a DVD from iDVD instead of burning the disk direct from the program, have iDVD create an image file. This helps in two ways: one you can test out your new DVD without having to actually burn a disk, and two, you can save the image file for whenever you need to burn more copies.

This assumes, of course, that you don't mind the 4 gigs of space the file may take up.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
If your planning on doing this alot consider getting Toast!

its an awesome program with lots of uses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.