Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2002
I'm looking for a simple app that will allow my wife and I to send photos from iPhone to iPhone. I'm on a 3G and she's on a 2G. I do NOT wish to hack/jailbreak/etc. either phone. I want her to receive a push notification when she receives a photo, not just a sound and a badge (like email would do)

Does this type of app exist?

Thanks!
Matt

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I would just get an IM app like beejive or IM+ on sale now :)

Then you can IM pics to each other and use the push notification from the IM client alert you.

IMO if everyone was on an IM client for a mobile device it would easily kill SMS/MMS services altogether.

I have heard rumors that some of the free texting apps are working to add MMS support also, but that is yet to be seen.

derek13

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
The best solution I think is to email the pic and get a push email app like Mail Notifier, GPush, or PushGmail to send the push notifications.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I want her to receive a push notification when she receives a photo, not just a sound and a badge (like email would do)

Can I ask why exactly? That just seems a very strange requirement to me, heck if need be email the pics to her (you can email multiple at once) and then send her a text to say you just emailed some pics.

btw there is no such thing as an iPhone 2G, I think that is why you got responses about MMS as an iPhone 2nd generation would be the iPhone 3G that is capable of MMS, the "G" in iPhone models doesn't refer to generation in the normal sense and hence is a little confusing.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
IMO if everyone was on an IM client for a mobile device it would easily kill SMS/MMS services altogether.

True, except.... IM requires data. SMS doesn't. Wayyyy cheaper for me to SMS than add data back onto my phone. I can't MMS though.... MMS on a Treo on Verizon requires Data. Oh well.... i survive!

con500

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

jaseone said:
I want her to receive a push notification when she receives a photo, not just a sound and a badge (like email would do)

Can I ask why exactly? That just seems a very strange requirement to me, heck if need be email the pics to her (you can email multiple at once) and then send her a text to say you just emailed some pics.

btw there is no such thing as an iPhone 2G, I think that is why you got responses about MMS as an iPhone 2nd generation would be the iPhone 3G that is capable of MMS, the "G" in iPhone models doesn't refer to generation in the normal sense and hence is a little confusing.

The 1st gen iPhone is known & reffered to universally as the "2g" heck even apple on their homepage refer to the device as the 2g. But if some folks need to be Ancy about it then you are of course right, but am afraid also you are in the minority as everyone (again universal) knows what one is referring to when they say "their 2g"...

con500

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Sorry: the "2g" is what it is.... It's da one before da 3g. And that it has been since beginning of time lol granted the gen thing is confusing...since that would make the 3g the 2g, in terms of it bein a 2nd gen. Anyway ouch my head hurts

Chumbake

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009

The 1st gen iPhone is known & reffered to universally as the "2g" heck even apple on their homepage refer to the device as the 2g. But if some folks need to be Ancy about it then you are of course right, but am afraid also you are in the minority as everyone (again universal) knows what one is referring to when they say "their 2g"...

My two cents.

I've never seen or heard Apple ever call it a 2G. You sure it was apple.com?) And I've never heard anyone else call it that either. The first gen was simply called iPhone. The 2nd Gen was referred to as iPhone 3G and now we have the iPhone 3Gs.

But all that really matters is that people understand which one you're referring too.

As for the topic. I would recommend getting a MobileMe account and simply email the photos. (you'll then also have push for calendars, bookmarks and other great features) MobileMe's email is instant (push) and my wife and I did that all the time when we both had iPhones. She had the original 1st Gen and I had a 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.