Easiest way to record clear songs on imac

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by frebay, Jan 22, 2008.

1. frebay macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    Can someone tell me what mic or other product I need to record a clear singing voice. I don't want to edit my voice after the song, just a little reverb on the mic will suffice.

For example:
    I got my imac over the weekend and used the built-in mic to record this video using imovie and it's not clear at all, and on the high notes the the quality decreases dramatically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcO0eSjoIuk

I notice some other people on youtube singing and their sound is very clear. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B31rGd6Kgg8

At the end of the day, I want to sit in front of my imac, click imovie, click record, record a clear sounding song and press upload. Is this even possible?

Thanks for all that reply.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's all about quality components and a treated environment. if you want to get into engineering, awesome, but if you'd rather just be a musician i'd gently suggest you hire a recording studio when you track vocals.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You'll need a decent mic pre-amp, decent mic, decent room acoustics and last but not least, you'll have to sit in the right place.

A good mic will capture that sound better, but it still won't be very good, and it won't be cheap either...

4. frebay thread starter macrumors newbie

would the m-audio Fast Track Pro be a good pre-mic? any recommendations for a good mic?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

iow, you're going to ignore the above and try to get quality on the cheap. Good luck with that.

6. frebay thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't care about cheap, i just want simple recording.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what's your budget?

8. frebay thread starter macrumors newbie

Is 1000 enough? I was planning on getting a AT4050 mic and m-audio "Session with Fast Track USB - The Make-Music-Now Studio for Guitar and Vocals"

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

right, i just went and listened to the "good" recording on youtube. i'll allow that the file compression introduces some issues, but imho it's not a very good recording.

so if that's the bar set, you're in luck, because your expectations are low.

the at4050 is indeed a nice mic. you should try before you buy to make sure it fits your voice. i'm less impressed with your choice of pre and converter, but it should suffice for your needs.

also recommend you drop the $130 to get a pair of these. set them up in a V-shape (say, 75 degrees) and sing into them. not too close, though, you want the mic a few feet away. that'll help with your room sound and probably get you a better sound than the woman playing the keyboard.

10. frebay thread starter macrumors newbie

zimv,
    can you give me an example of what you think is a good recording on youtube? also what would you suggest as a pre and converter?

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

anything professionally recorded. e.g. the BBC guys do a nice job with Top Gear.

what software are you using?

12. frebay thread starter macrumors newbie

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if it were me, i'd be looking more in the presonus direction and less in the m-audio direction. that's assuming that after $600 for the at4050 and $150 for the 244's, you've got only a couple hundred left to spend.

might also look at the shure ksm32 instead of the AT, to free up a few bucks. but again, you should try before buying.

14. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

The second link you put down looks like she is singing through one of the AKC Perception Mics http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,951,pid,951,nodeid,2,_language,EN,country,ENUS.html

But, you will need an audio interface like the ones mentioned above to use it. One of the mics plus something like a motu ultralite http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite/ will get you started. $1000 should get you there. The ultralite is a good little starter for an interface but I have not used the Perception mics. Do some looking around before you buy since you just bought the iMac. When it comes to recording audio, the amount of money you invest plus the research = the best quality you can get. Good luck.:)

15. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

I'm surprised nobody has recommended that apogee duet... I myself couldn't as I've never heard it. Seconded on the AT4050, I have one and it sounded great on this folk punk band I recorded that only wanted one mic... They have a very soft sound, the mic itself is quite trebly/harsh, but not in an overpowering way.

16. frebay thread starter macrumors newbie

i looked at the apogee duet, but isn't the AT4050 an XLR connection and lookes like the apogee duet is only a mini-jack.

for the mic, is it good for power ballads and high ranges?

17. frebay thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm upping my budget. I got the mic already, and have 1k left to spend. Were you suggesting the Presonus Firebox?

18. frebay thread starter macrumors newbie

i answered my own question, the apogee duet has a breakout cable.

After some research looks like i'm going w/ apogee duet and an AT4050.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that should be a nice combo. i still recommend treating your room some.

20. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

21. CharliePermezel macrumors newbie

If I were you I'd do a bit of research into the different types of microphones.

22. frebay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyones help so far! I picked up a AT4050 and apogee duet and recorded the following in garage band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa94fn6aEok

i noticed in some high ranges that the sound starts breaking out. any ideas why?

also do you suggest monitors or headphones? what's the main difference?

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so is that you singing?

what i'm hearing is that the record levels are too high. set your levels so you never go into the upper half of the LED range meter. i'd also back off the mic a bit, it sounds like you're crowding it.

you'll get a bit more room sound, and then i'll refer back to the recommendations for the bass traps.

you're getting some s-sounds, as well. i'd try a stedman pop filter for that. or, if you want to save a few bucks, use the pencil technique (see next post).

monitors. headphones don't give you a real picture of what's going on.

nice voice, btw!

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

pencil trick

tape a pencil vertically across the mic capsule. this will help stop s'es and whistling (for those w/ gaps in their teeth):

[​IMG]