Easiest way to transfer data to new SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sponsi, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Sponsi macrumors member

Sponsi

I want to transfer the existing data on my HD to a new SSD. I don't have an external enclosure. What would be my best option?

Also, any "must do's" when/after installing an Intel SSD G2?

Thanks.

2. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

If you're planning on replacing your hard drive with the SSD, then use Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your current drive on to the new one. You will either need an external enclosure or a USB to SATA/IDE adapter to connect the new drive to your machine. Assuming you're planning on using the old drive externally, I would buy an enclosure for it (I like speed so I prefer FW800 enclosures). Once you've cloned the drive, then boot from the new drive before installing it to make sure everything is ok. If you can boot from it and it seems to work well, then install it in your laptop and put your old drive in the enclosure.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

if dont have an ext. hard drive, then i guess you have to use DVDs to copy your files.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Get an enclosure. They are extremely cheap.

5. Sponsi thread starter macrumors member

Sponsi

I guess an external enclosure will be my best bet. Thank you everyone!

Any before/after installation tips? Also, the company I bought it from has a very limited return policy, so I want to push the SSD to its limits within the first week. What tasks should I perform? Any signs I should look for indicating a bad drive?

Thanks.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

7. cmaier macrumors G3

Because he has one computer, one connection for a hard drive, and two hard drives.