Easiest way to transfer files from external to internal drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by reminis, Oct 2, 2010.

1. reminis macrumors member

I have a quick question that maybe you guys can help me with. I used to store all my music on an external drive, but now that I got a Mac I decided to just save them on the internal drive.

When I select the External drive and Copy the files to transfer somewhere along the lines it gives me an error and pretty much the transfer Stalls(the transfer window stays open but nothing is being moved) and it wont close or nothing unless I restart.

I really don't know what file is corrupt or anything, Is there a software I can get to make this process easier?

I am trying to transfer over 100gb of music Via USB. Thanks fellas.

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Is there any type of files on there that may be locked to the drive that are accidentally trying to be copied over? I personally wouldn't move the music over, I have all my music stored on an external and itunes is setup to just look for the music and my library files on the external.

3. reminis thread starter macrumors member

I really dont know, thats why kinda looking for a software that would check that for me. I saved all the music originally from a PC. This is my first time using a Mac.

I am a DJ and got tired of bringing my hard drive, I want to put it all on the internal hard drive since this Mac is dedicated to pretty much only Music.

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Ok gotcha. Hmm if you had it connected to a PC look through the drive and see if there is an itunes library folder in there, if so you may have to delete that and then move the music over.

I don't really think there is any software that will accomplish searching for locked or non movable folders/files.