Easiest way to transfer large files from MacBook to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hughlb, Jan 11, 2015.

1. hughlb macrumors newbie

It should be simple, I'm trying to copy a six gig folder with AVI files in it from my Macbook (Yosemite 10.10) to an iPad (7.1.2).

Dropbox doesn't have enough space, and not the preferable solution as the upload would be too slow. Bluetooth will connect the two devices but won't transfer because "the device does not have the necessary services". iTunes doesn't allow me to import the AVI files, so I can't transfer via USB cable. Airdrop doesn't recognise the iPad. There are no physical inputs on the iPad, so I can't plug in a USB stick or SD card.

That's five solutions that won't work. These are two Apple devices sitting physically next to each other on my desk. Why is this so hard?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why not convert the AVI to an M4V using Handbrake, it'll copy fine then. No point in uploading a file that won't play on iOS.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If the point is just to get the files on the iPad, then you could use the app "Phone Drive".

4. Night Spring, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Get one of the media play apps that can play avi files. Many of them are free.

Once you have an app that plays avi files, use iTunes to transfer the files to that app.
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030