Easiest way to transfer to SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jazzer15, Nov 8, 2015.

1. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I am thinking of having the superdrive replaced with a SSD on my late 2009 i7 iMac. The machine has a 2TB hard drive that is about 40% full, primarily with photos (I use Lightroom, Photoshop and plugins) and lossless as well as mp3 music. I also have a 2TB external drive that I use for my Time Machine backup. I have always had everything on a single hard drive and partition.

If I get a 256Gb or 512 GB SSD, what would be the easiest way for me to get the OS and applications onto it, separate my data and set up an ongoing backup system?

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't do it. Your computer is already 6 years old and will likely need to be replaced within 2 years.

3. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, actually it's worse than that, because I have a minor issue with the LD panel, so that needs to be replaced also. I just figured if I did that, I would also add the SSD because it wouldn't be any more labor. I realize I am probably looking at about $600 and the computer is 6 years old, but it otherwise runs pretty well and $600 for a couple more years out of it sounded better than $3000 for a new computer that will be somewhat dated in a couple of years anyway. But maybe that's not the best way to look at it.