Easiest way to unlock 3G iphone to use outside the US?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluelondon, Jul 21, 2008.

1. bluelondon macrumors regular

i'm in the uk for a few weeks and i have a t-mobile pay as you go sim card here which i just throw into my handset when i'm over here, since i don't stay longer than a few months a year i don't really need a contract over here. but the iphone i purchase in the US is obviously locked to AT&T's network, so i was wondering what is the easiest way to unlock the iphone so i can use it over here in the UK for a few weeks and then go back to AT&T in the US when i return.

thanks

2. barryallott macrumors member

Unfortunatly the 3G iphone is currently not able to be unlocked. bad times!

3. yode macrumors 6502

wait for the unlock to come out? Besides that I would think maybe calling at&t about it, but i doubt they will do anything (I may be wrong).

4. bluelondon thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i was so busy leading up to my flight i forget to call them about this. i'll call them and see what they say, although i have a feeling i already know, no service outside the states.

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Ofcourse their answer will be no service outside of USA.. Personally I have a feeling that in a couple of months Apple will announce unlocking of all iPhones on contract...

When you think about it reasonably:
    Once you have already signed up to Apple/ATT/o2 contract, they've got your neck in the trap till your contract is up... So unlocking it would do them no harm as they already have your line rental off you.