Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

worldwearyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I'm upgrading my macbook to a 100gb hard drive. Just wondering about easy and simple ways to transfer my data to the new drive, as well as to erase the old drive. I do have an external USB hard drive to help w/ the transfer.

Any insight or info is appreciated....thx.

matt

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm upgrading my macbook to a 100gb hard drive. Just wondering about easy and simple ways to transfer my data to the new drive, as well as to erase the old drive. I do have an external USB hard drive to help w/ the transfer.

Any insight or info is appreciated....thx.

matt

Carbon Copy Cloner works well for me. To nuke it, I'd probably do something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/drive. You really want to overwrite the data with a known value.

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
Carbon Copy Cloner works well for me. To nuke it, I'd probably do something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/drive. You really want to overwrite the data with a known value.

Depending on what you're trying to protect against 'dd' may be good enough. Instead of using /dev/zero as the source, you might prefer /dev/urandom (low quality, faster) or /dev/random (high quality, slow).

When I need to wipe a drive (either at home or at work), I use Darik's Boot and Nuke. It does work with the Intel-based Macs (I used it last year on my MBP before sending in for repairs).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Depending on what you're trying to protect against 'dd' may be good enough. Instead of using /dev/zero as the source, you might prefer /dev/urandom (low quality, faster) or /dev/random (high quality, slow).

When I need to wipe a drive (either at home or at work), I use Darik's Boot and Nuke. It does work with the Intel-based Macs (I used it last year on my MBP before sending in for repairs).

While /dev/urandom and /dev/random will give you more resistance to a "take it apart and put it under an electron microscope in a clean room" attacks, you can't *validate* that the overwrite worked and was complete unless you do a known value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.