Easiest web hosting company?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by vsp, May 26, 2009.

1. vsp macrumors regular

A friend wishes to put up a basic website, and they'd prefer not to pay the cost and hassle to use Mobile Me. They aren't computer savvy really, but would like to handle the basics themselves.

Anyone know of a web-hosting service that has a strong support for people that don't know what a command line is and never heard of FTP before? I've been looking around at numerous hosting services but none of them seem appropriate for her.

By the way, the web site was made in iWeb, not sure if that makes a difference or not (I haven't looked at it closely yet).

Thanks
    vsp

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

A Small Orange - http://www.asmallorange.com

I've been a customer in the past, and the support was incredible and the price very good :)

3. deanhost macrumors newbie

24hostingnow is reputable company which is leaders in the web hosting business. This company offers full-featured, affordable services that fulfill all your requirements to stay online happily. All the hosting packages are compatible to all, with high quality customer service.

4. Momofthree macrumors member

http://www.hostnexus.com/

I have been with them for years. The ticket support system is awesome, I always get a reply right away and forum is great... always someone to help!

and I just found out they have quite a few applications that are one click installers... like WordPress Blog, ecommerce, etc. .... which means us as the customer doesn't have to worry about trying to figure out how to install! cool.

5. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I wrote a step-by-step for publishing sites in iweb 08 for the hosting company I work for that's available in our knowledgebase. If your friend downloads a tool called easy iweb publisher, it will help with a lot of the FTP stuff.

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Bravehost.com is good for beginners. They even offer a free account that, of course, has ads. They have a flash ftp app available on the site, as well. Your friend won't need to know much to get started with them. I used them for 4 years, but out-grew them.

7. inmotion macrumors member

if customer support is important check out www.pinchhost.com

i recently moved my site with them as i had twitted about the difficulties of finding a good host and they replied.

honestly, if there's any problems, they will reply within 10 min and help you with whatever you need.

i mean, ive seen them offer temporary free hosting to users with downed site (due to other crappy paid server) or even helping people recover lost blog entries (even before they signed up with them!)

check them on their website our via twitter (www.twitter.com/pinchhost)

my site hosted by pinchhost -> www.thekaleidoprojects.com

good luck with the search!

8. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to look at what these offer.
    I'm going to try a quick lesson for her using my Small Orange account and Cyberduck and see how that goes. If cpanel scares her off I'll try one of the ones mentioned here.

Thanks again.

9. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

10. iGary Guest

iGary

11. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Not to spam, but me and a few friends run our own hosting company targeted at "easy". See signature.

12. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. After going through a few iWeb publishing articles, and a quick lesson in cPanel and Cyberduck, we went with A Small Orange.

13. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

14. Elixer macrumors regular

Good choice with A Small Orange, I've been a customer for years now. :)