Easiet way to transfer apps / library's to new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lavrishevo, Mar 25, 2011.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Tomorrow I am going to start transferring all my info to my new Macbook Pro from a 2006 model and what I am wondering is if migration assistant is really the best way?

Particularly for apps like iLife, iWork, Office, CS5, etc... to list some of the major concerns.

Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. chicago19 macrumors newbie

In my opinion, the easiest way to transfer all your data from one mac to another is using a time machine back up. If you have an external hard drive, hook it up to your old mac and make a back up using time machine. When you turn on your new mac, it will ask you how you wan to transfer your data. Select the time machine back up method and all your music, movie, photos, documents, applications, and settings will be transferred automatically. It doesn't get much easier than that I think.

3. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Sounds good. No problems with any permissions getting set wrong or apps not functioning properly?

4. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

What if you don't have an external hard drive?

5. chicago19 macrumors newbie

I just did what I suggested to you about three days ago and so far no problems.

6. chicago19 macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413#2

The link I posted above will show you how to do the transfer using firewire, ethernet, or wireless.

7. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Alright I'm going to jump in via the Time Machine route. Thanks.