Easily add photo gallery to website?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ArtOfWarfare, Oct 5, 2014.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I want to add a photo gallery to my personal website. I have plenty of web programming experience to make it myself, but I feel like it would take me a few hours and that it's such a common thing that surely there's an existing solution that I can just drop in and customize a bit in a few minutes, instead of taking a few hours.

Since I'm asking for a free and easy solution, I'm not going to be very picky (beggars can't be choosers and all that) but this is what I had in mind:

- Near the bottom of my website, there's a section labeled "Photos" with a grid (table) of tumbnails of my photos laid out.
    - When one of those thumbnails is clicked, an overlay appears with that photo filling up most of the screen.
    - The overlay should have a way of closing it.
    - The overlay should have arrows to move to the next / previous picture.

I'd prefer to have the photos hosted off my own machine but I'll accept it if as part of keeping this simple, I need someone else to host it.

2. caloggs, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

caloggs macrumors newbie

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Check out fancyBox. http://fancyapps.com/fancybox/ Should be easy enough for you since you're a coder. This is actually the second version of it and it's on Github too.

4. ArtOfWarfare, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

This looks great, thanks! Unfortunately, I decided to go with http://www.cincopa.com/ before I saw your response. Out of time to work on my website for now... it's okay, but not exactly what I wanted. I was hoping for some kind of grid of thumbnails, but cincopa didn't give me that option. Next time I need to do something like this I'll probably go with that option instead.