Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
This is a sign for customers to Sprint the hell away from this ridiculously terrible company.

Not only do they do NOT have

-LTE coverage
-Plans to get LTE coverage to a majority of large US cities in the near future.
-Good enough 3G speed (.06 up .01 down on 4S...WHAT THE FFFF?!)

They also have

-dbags employees

You get what you pay for folks!

Sprint - Unlimited Data You CAN'T Use

I agree to an extent. The data tends to be dreadfully slow once I am outside a typical metro area like a toll road in NJ or away from major cities. I have a hard time streaming Pandora quite often on my daily commute in some parts, which has become predictable.

That being said, I do have wifi at both work and at home, so I don't really have to worry about anything when I am there, it's more of a minor annoyance while I am traveling between both places.

I have no plans to switch to any other carrier as long as they actually have LTE deployed and operational as soon as I am eligible for my next upgrade in September, which coincidentally is in line with the next iPhone launch. We will just have to wait and see. Unfortunately Sprint got super burned betting on WiMax and the industry settled on LTE.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Well, really considering their rather odd relationship with Apple, how hard was it for them to sell out 10 phones?

I kid, I kid :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I don't know about you, but I'd be "sprint"ing the other way with service like that. Wtf is with that Gestapo crap, ?
How is not receiving enough phones on day 1 "Gestapo"?

I'd say that expecting to find one by walking into a random cell phone store is closer to Gestapo attitude.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
This is a sign for customers to Sprint the hell away from this ridiculously terrible company.

-LTE coverage
-Plans to get LTE coverage to a majority of large US cities in the near future.
-Good enough 3G speed (.06 up .01 down on 4S...WHAT THE FFFF?!)
Sprint does have LTE coverage in a few cities currently and plans to roll it out into over 100 cities in the next few months.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
in-store supplies were really low to begin with...

I went to a Sprint store this morning in midtown NYC and was the 5th person in line to get an iPhone 5, then the manager tells the guy behind me (6th in line) that they're out of the Black 16GB iP5. Weird that they wouldn't have had more on hand of that particular model.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

-LTE coverage (false, they do have LTE)
-Plans to get LTE coverage to a majority of large US cities in the near future. (false, they are expanding into over 100 cities within a few months http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/10/sprint-announces-huge-lte-expansion-in-coming-months-adds-new/)
-Good enough 3G speed (.06 up .01 down on 4S...WHAT THE FFFF?!) (false, user error)

They also have

-dbags employees (this applies to all carriers except tmobile)

You get what you pay for folks!

Sprint - Unlimited Data You CAN'T Use

Haters gonna hate.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Not sure how it's Sprint's fault here. They only got X amount of phones...end of story.

I completely agree. I'm not blaming Sprint for the low amount, but waiting until 7:30 when they knew from the start that morning that they only had 30 phones to tell people who had been waiting for a couple hours that they wouldn't be getting a phone.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Haters gonna hate.

Slow is gonna be slow. And out of those LTE cities how many left in the entire country will be left without any coverage for years to come?

Oh and dont give me that BS about the slow data speed. It's UNUSABLE. I wouldn't have paid $1200 for FOUR of our family lines to move over. I'm not saying this out of thin air. I experienced it first hand. Geez. Your vision of this company is distorted much?

steiney

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Haters gonna hate.

I have to say, I agree with the disgustingly slow data speeds and the dbag employees. I've never hard bad interactions with any cellphone company customer support other than Sprint and TMobile. I've been with Alltel, Cingular and AT&T besides those two, and they were all fine. Plus, I've heard nothing but good things about Verizion.

Also, with Sprint you apparently can't send a text message or get a webpages to load when roaming, at least in me and my girlfriend's experience.

I have pre-ordered the iPhone 5 from Verizon and am switiching away from Sprint. I absolutely cannot wait to get away from them. I've never heard anyone that has Sprint say anything but negatives things about them.

Preed08

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
I understand peoples disgust with sprint, but the network is going under a major overhaul. I've seen much progress in the last couple months in my market..

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I have to say, I agree with the disgustingly slow data speeds and the dbag employees.
The speeds can be very slow but they are still fast enough to do things like stream Netflix. Typically the only time the slow data rates bug me is when I'm using Google maps and it takes a minute for the traffic to appear/update on the map.

Also, with Sprint you apparently can't send a text message or get a webpages to load when roaming, at least in me and my girlfriend's experience.
I just spent a week roaming in Yosemite and was able to send/receive texts as well as access the web.

In utilities under "roaming" do you have it set for voice and data or just voice?

steiney

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
The speeds can be very slow but they are still fast enough to do things like stream Netflix. Typically the only time the slow data rates bug me is when I'm using Google maps and it takes a minute for the traffic to appear/update on the map.

I just spent a week roaming in Yosemite and was able to send/receive texts as well as access the web.

In utilities under "roaming" do you have it set for voice and data or just voice?

I think I must be experiencing much slower data speeds than you. Forget Netflix on my phone. Even bringing up a webpage, half the time I get so sick of waiting that I move forget about trying to bring up the page and move on with my life.

I read the part about making sure I have data roaming enabled, and thought to myself, "Man, I'm going to feel like an idiot if it's not enabled!", but I checked and it is enabled. I'm in Gainesville, FL, so maybe the connection is much slower here than wherever you are.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
I just don't understand this. Everyone I talk to in Orange County and Los Angeles who uses Sprint is hapy with thema nd has the same data speeds as I do on Verizon. Voice quality is great, coverage is great, etc..

I was even with Sprint before I dropped them for Att the iPhone- that absolutely sucked! The coverage was noticeably worse than Sprint. I left when the Verizon iPhone came out, but I had been hoping Sprint would get it. Then They did a few months later... and now I regret not waiting for Sprint.

On top of that, in crowded areas I do lose Verizon coverage- Irvine Spectrum, Angels game, Disneyland, etc. But my Sprint friends- they are still good.

I am just not understanding all the anti-sprint sentiment- they have unlimited data, better plans cost-wise, and I have never seen a problem with coverage.

I mean, even if you are a Verizon or ATT fan, you should be cheering them on- their plans are cheaper with unlimited data- that market competition will benefit you as a customer of their competitor!

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
WHY YOU NO ON T-Mobile?!

I wish Apple would release the iPhone to T-Mobile. The iPhone would get amazing speeds on T-Mobile's 4G network.

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
Picked up my white iPhone 5 16 GB model this morning . showed up at 5 am for the 8 am store opening. Noone else showed up until 7:15 and the manager came out at 7:30 to let us know that they got exactly 5 phones in. One was thew single store demo model and that they got 2 each of the 16 GB and 32 GB models to sell.

The store was sold out by 8:30. Mine was the first and at least 10 more people showed up but left because they wanted black phones.

Glad I read the reports of the anodizing problems and decided I didnt care what color I got as long as I got a 16 GB model.

Was told by the manager that they had just turned on LTE in some of the surrounding suburbs in the Chicago area as a bonus so hopefully I will be enjoying the benefits of early adoption in the next couple months.

I have been a long time Sprint customer and have had very sew customer service issues with them. Any time I have had to call customer service or tech support they have been nothing but nice with me and very helpful. I have seen quite a few jerks in non corporate owned sprint stores however.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
I just don't understand this. Everyone I talk to in Orange County and Los Angeles who uses Sprint is hapy with thema nd has the same data speeds as I do on Verizon. Voice quality is great, coverage is great, etc..

I was even with Sprint before I dropped them for Att the iPhone- that absolutely sucked! The coverage was noticeably worse than Sprint. I left when the Verizon iPhone came out, but I had been hoping Sprint would get it. Then They did a few months later... and now I regret not waiting for Sprint.

On top of that, in crowded areas I do lose Verizon coverage- Irvine Spectrum, Angels game, Disneyland, etc. But my Sprint friends- they are still good.

I am just not understanding all the anti-sprint sentiment- they have unlimited data, better plans cost-wise, and I have never seen a problem with coverage.

I mean, even if you are a Verizon or ATT fan, you should be cheering them on- their plans are cheaper with unlimited data- that market competition will benefit you as a customer of their competitor!

Yeah, it seems like everyone who is reporting that they get good coverage with Sprint is on the west coast. They must have better coverage over there than on the east coast where I am.

As for Sprint's plans being cheaper, in my case they actually are not. I am on the 450 minutes plan with unlimited data, because I usually don't use more than 450 landline minutes. BUT, a few months in the last eleven, I have gone over and got hit big time for it. Even though my base bill after taxes, etc. is around $88 (with a discount I arranged), my average bill over the last eleven months has been $105. So, by switching to Verizon, I am paying probably around $95 after the taxes, etc., but I am guaranteed I will never be charged more because I absolutely never go over 1GB of data in a month. I've checked my actual data usage since I got my first smartphone four years ago, and I never once have passed 1GB. So, in the long run, over the next year, I will save myself an estimated $120 by switching to Verizon. You can take away from the the ETF to leave Sprint of $240, but then add back about $120 to sell my current phone, and I'm breaking even, plus I get to have the new iPhone at the subsidized price, AND since I'm on the east coast, switching to Verizon means I will actually be able to use data on my phone, which will be a big plus for me.

Regarding customer service, true story: When I first got the phone with Sprint, the online account thing wouldn't let me setup my account. I had to spend over one hour on the phone with about six different customer support people trying to get it figured out so I could set up an online account, and a couple of them tried very aggressively to sell me another phone before they would talk to me about the problem I was having. I literally yelled at the last guy when he started with his sales pitch, and he kept on going with the pitch as if I was sitting there quietly, listening to him.

briskcase

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I have to say, I agree with the disgustingly slow data speeds and the dbag employees. I've never hard bad interactions with any cellphone company customer support other than Sprint and TMobile. I've been with Alltel, Cingular and AT&T besides those two, and they were all fine. Plus, I've heard nothing but good things about Verizion.

I have pre-ordered the iPhone 5 from Verizon and am switiching away from Sprint. I absolutely cannot wait to get away from them. I've never heard anyone that has Sprint say anything but negatives things about them.

Sprint jumps onto the VZW network when roaming... I think your girlfriend might be lying and just not want to text back.

----------

87¢??? When the hell did that happen? I bought in at 2 something and was pretty stoked. If I'd had a million dollars to put on the margin I would have!

It never did, look at the chart. Lowest it's been in the last 4 years is 1.92

https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:S

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
87¢??? When the hell did that happen? I bought in at 2 something and was pretty stoked. If I'd had a million dollars to put on the margin I would have!

About 3 months before the iphone 4S release it was down in the .80's. I heard the rumor of Sprint getting the iPhone, so I was like let's see where this goes. So far so good :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.