EastWest Hollywood Strings Recommended Specs

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mikasuraisu, Dec 10, 2011.

1. mikasuraisu macrumors newbie

The recommended is Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66GHz. Optimum is Eight-Core Intel Xeon 2.26GHz. The max for MacBook Pro is 2.4GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7. I should just save up for a Mac Pro if I want to run it reliably and buy a MacBook Air for non-virtual instrument intensive recording, yeah?

Thanks in advance for advice.

2. Mac Composer macrumors member

Even a fully loaded MacPro isn't enough to run Hollywood Strings reliably. You'll waste your time and money trying to run it on a MBP.

HW strings sound fantastic, but the Play engine is a dog on a Mac. Depending on your usage, even with a MacPro you'll be freezing and bouncing tracks to save cpu resources. If you want to run HW strings, get a PC to host it on. Run VE Pro as a LAN connecting to your Mac which will run your DAW.

3. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Agree that a PC slave is the only real option for HS Diamond. HS Gold might be doable on a Mac, but if you are doing a slave specifically for EWQL, just go for a PC and save some money - you'll be happier in the long run.

4. mikasuraisu thread starter macrumors newbie

How about LA Scoring Strings and Symphobia? Do they compare favorably to Hollywood Strings? Would I be able to run those on a MacBook Pro?

I want to get a new laptop (have a Toshiba from 2009 I'm still using). I also want to get a workstation to compose. I guess there's not enough power in a MacBook Pro to satisfy both requirements and save money from having to get both...well, I guess I won't get any real composing done without a keyboard, so having a laptop for composing isn't practical...

So the most cost-efficient way is to completely forego a Mac + Slave altogether? I could just both host the samples and have the DAW on a PC-grade server.

Also, I need to consider if my composing skills even call for anything like EWHS. I might just learn how to compose pencil and paper, and by the time I'm good enough at composing all the tech I need to make EWHS run without my system breaking a sweat will be affordable haha.

5. nick1981 macrumors newbie

Fast PC

I have a Mac Pro Quad Core with 16 gigs of ram. I have decided to utilize Hollywood Strings by acquiring a second machine on which it will serve as a host.

For those of you who have actually used Hollywood Strings (and Hollywood Brass) what are the minimal specs that begin to be considered within the "ideal" range? I may not want to go through the trouble of building a pc. So, I will most likely buy one. Where is best to customize this PC? Dell/Alienware? HP? Something else? I don't know as much about the PC world as I once did.

thanks

6. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Maybe start out with Garritan Personal Orchestra or IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonic(includes choir). Much cheaper and easier on computer resources. You can pick up GPO 4 for $130 street price and Miroslav for the same price and it's ocassionally on sale for $50 to $60.

GPO 4 does take some work to get good results using the mod wheel and a nice verb like EW Spaces but it's player does have a good built-in convolution reverb. Miroslav already has recorded ambience and stage positioning. EW Spaces has a front and rear stage position option for more realism.

7. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

LASS, symphobia and 8dio's offerings are amazing.

While I generally enjoy EW's libraries, that play engine is ... annoying. in VEP5 I have to have several instances of it to use my libraries, instead of simply placing a bunch of patches like in kontakt.

Wish someone would bring back Gigasampler but with this years' tech and routing options.