Easy and inexpensive iPhone 5 "Dock"

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Clix Pix, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    So after getting over my disappointment that Apple isn't going to provide us with a dock this time, I realized that I didn't really need to worry -- I already had something on hand: the Storex Onyx Glass Business Card Holder that I had bought at Staples a couple of years ago. Works a treat for the iPhone to either be standing up or lying on her side -- pop in the charging cable and stand her upside down, too......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would imagine that most business card holders would work, but this one is particularly nice because it's heavy enough that the iPhone doesn't tip over and also it is glass so that I can see the iPhone through it, regardless of position and orientation.

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Personally I don't just use a dock for sitting my phone in but to know whilst it's sitting there it is charging and will be at 100% Battery when I leave.

Having my phone in something like that upside down and plugging the cable in would not be an adequate solution for me.

I'm still holding out for some 3rd party dock that mimics the style of the previous Apple docks as those were perfect.

3. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    In the absence of a dock at the moment, for me this is a solution which works inasmuch as it keeps the iPhone elevated regardless of which position it is in -- I don't like setting it down flat on surfaces -- and it makes it easy to see who it is if the phone is sitting there in the business card holder (either charging or not charging) and someone calls. I am at home a lot and don't feel the need to keep my iPhone in my pocket then, so I'd just as soon have her sitting around where I can see her and caller ID information when a call comes in. As for the upside-down configuration, yeah, I'm not thrilled with that, either, but for the moment it works.. of course I could also just plug in the cable and have her in the holder lying on her side.....

Third-party docks will undoubtedly be coming and I'll be more than happy when that happens, but in the meantime for me this is a viable solution....