Easy availability of new iPad at Apple store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hakr100, Mar 21, 2012.

1. hakr100, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I sold my four year old MacBook Pro this morning and took the proceeds over to the Apple store in Annapolis, Maryland, where I purchased a new iPad 64 GB Verizon 4G for the same amount, give or take a couple of dollars. No waiting, no ordering, plenty of inventory.

I did not initialize or sign up for Verizon services yet. I'm still a little confused about this. I stopped by the Verizon store and was told the cheapest plan was $30 a month with automatic billing. I thought, perhaps wrongly, that there was a $20 plan and once you used up the 2 GB in that plan, you could buy more or...not, and that there was no monthly recurring fee.

I wish Verizon would start offering a multi-device data plan and allow rolling over of unused data from month to month. Until it does, maybe PDAnet is the best answer.

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I'm a little confused how your thread title reflects the thread content. Is there a question?

3. deeddawg macrumors 603

So your first mistake was to talk to Verizon store employees.

Your second was to believe what they told you.

See http://www.verizonwireless.com/ipad.shtml

Or open your ipad, go to Settings->CellularData->ViewAccount and you can see the prepaid options available when you scroll down. Store employees tend to know what they sell, which is postpaid. With Verizon there's a $20/1GB prepaid option that doesn't exist with postpaid.

4. boxster99t macrumors member

The plans are explained within Settings on the iPad--for Verizon, there is a $20 1GB plan; $30 for 2 GB; $50 for 5 GB; $80 for 10 GB.

The data allotment is good until the sooner of you use it up, or one month later. The plan automatically renews if you do not cancel it.

If you use up the purchased GB before the month is up, you can buy more, at the same increments (e.g., you don't technically add to the existing month--you get a new 30 days and chunk of data for whatever of the four plans you pick. You cannot add 1GB for an additional $10, for example).

5. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand that. I was hoping there was a way to avoid the "automatically renew" without having to go through the annoyance of cancelling.