easy batch convert/resize?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by plaidhippo, Jul 12, 2010.

1. plaidhippo macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I have a ton of archived photos and am trying to save some space. So I was going to take the original 8mp images and try to convert them into low-resolution (~640 or 1280 pix), low quality jpgs. I can do this in iphoto by exporting the images, but they're all in finder currently (ie not in iphoto). I was wondering if there is a good batch converter or resizing program so that I can just drag the original files in and have it spit out the small versions. Again, iphoto can do this but I want to avoid the thrash of importing into iphoto and then exporting out again. I think applescript or automator may be able to help me but I've never used these programs. I downloaded graphic converter but I couldn't figure out how to make a simple "scale and resample" type of script with it. Any help would be much appreciated, or else I'll have to resort to iphoto! You guys could save me lots of time! :)

thanks,
    Ashish

2. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

Try Automator, it's not that hard to work through.

I even did a tutorial on my site if you're completely stuck. ;)

3. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!

Thanks for the quick reply! This seems to have worked really well! I created a finder plug in which I can use now without opening up any new programs! My photos went from 3mb each to ~100k. Awesome! :)

Ashish

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Automator!

+1000000 for automator.

It took me a year or two to give it a go, but I now use it pretty much daily at work. Such an easy to use, yet powerfully flexible tool!

5. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

are you deleting the originals? Isn't that a bit of a loss?

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

I concur!! I love automator - though I only a few saved scripts - but they are all image management related.

I also hope you didn't delete the originals. At least archive them to a CD and tuck them away somewhere for a few years.

7. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for the quick replies. I am deleting the originals because I've already found the best shots and saved them aside. These are the ones on the cutting room floor, so to speak. Thus saving them is actually unnecessary altogether, but I'm a pack rat so I'm looking for ways to save them without wasting as much space! With the scaler action, it takes my 3mb files and converts them to <100k, so it makes a huge difference!

One question I've run into is what to do with RAW files. I just got a DSLR and I take WAY too many shots, always in RAW, and I want to get convert the RAW files to small jpgs. I can't get any of the standard image manipulation actions to recognize the RAW files. Do any of you have tricks to make the RAW file into a jpg? I can run it through the scaler afterwards but can't get past the conversion step. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
    Ashish

8. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

It should just work I think. I can't try it out because I'm not near my iMac for another 9 hours.

Have you done a software update to get the Camera Updates?

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

You should reconsider tossing your original files, even those on the "cutting room floor". What you consider to be trash today may in fact be valuable in the future.

You may improve your post-production skills, and printing techniques, to the point that some of those images become usable. A less than perfect photo of a friend may end up being the best photo you have of them, should something unfortunate happen. That crowd shot you took may have captured next year's top NHL draft pick....

If you become famous, academics will spend years building careers on your body of work - make sure you leave them enough to work with!

It may be time for you to look at Aperture or Lightroom, perhaps? I don't know Aperture - but Lightroom can organize all of your files, turn RAW files into JPGs, resize your images, etc etc. You can also run Lightroom so that your archived RAW files are physically stored on some sort of archival media (DVD, external HD, etc) but the preview images are still part of the catalogue so that you can go back and review your images from time to time.

I do applaud your editing self-control though - - too many photographers think too many of their images are keepers. Moving your non-keepers out of your work-flow is a great way to keep your image collection lean and focussed. But archiving the non-keepers is, I think, better than trashing.

10. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate your confidence in my shooting abilities but trust me, they really are pretty lousy shots!! :p And that's exactly why I'm satisfied with a low res version - I can keep it without wasting too much space.

I tried a few variants of the file and document settings to make automator work on RAW files, but still no luck. I tried to treat it as a document (not an image) and then pass it through some graphic converter scripts but that didn't work. I tried simply treating it as an image and that still didn't work. I know I have all the necessary components to read the files because finder can preview them and Preview can open them with no problems. I thought photoshop or something similar may have some utilities for that, but I'm not sure. Any assistance would be appreciated! :)

I'm not too interested in stepping to lightroom or aperture. I keep only the photos I want locally and store the rest in an external anyway. This is just a way to help keep that external from getting cluttered with bad photos.

Thanks again!
    Ashish

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

@ plaidhippo Which version of OS X are you using?

Update:I was going to suggest we could write an automator script for you, but then I decided to suggest this instead.

I use a product called Easy Batch Photo, by Yellow Mug Software. Take an hour or so to learn it, and make some copies of the photos and practice on them first. But once you have it figured out (create some presets - it makes life easier!) it will take care of your resizing needs well. It does a bunch of other stuff too, which is why the interface can be a bit confusing at first. Good Luck.

12. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

I am using snow leopard. I tried easybatchphoto but i was pretty confused by the trial version. And I'm too cheap to pay for the full version! :) I'm just surprised that the finder and all other aspects of the OS seem to recognize a CR2 file (canon raw) as an image, but the automator actions are specific to standard image types (jpg, pict, etc.). I can't seem to bridge that gap.

I tried to make automator learn by recoding my actions. I opened a raw file in preview, saved as jpg, and closed preview, but it saved image specific info instead of making it generic for whatever file i have selected at the time. I'm sure there is a way to pass whatever files are selected by the finder into the program and then have it automate saving it as a jpg. Any other ideas?

I hear graphic converter can automate conversions, but their "batch convert" option is about the least user-friendly interface since the DOS prompt! :)

Thanks again for the advice, especially snberk103.

Ashish

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

Unfortunately I don't do Canon, so I can't test here. Do you have Photoshop? I found, somewhere and sometime in the past, a set of "plugins" or "scripts" for CS3 that I think put a resizing option into the automator module. I mean, I have the Photoshop resizing option, but I'm not entirely sure where it came from. However - - look with google for Action Pack, Photoshop, and Ben Long. You should be able to find the Action Pack that way, and it should list what the actions are. I think once you have the action pack you can use Photoshop to resize in an automator script. I would also suggest you try installing the CS3 or CS3 Action Pack if the CS5 is not easily found. If I get some time, I may try it out for myself.... but don't count on me...

Really, $24 for EasyBatchPhoto is not a lot if its going to save you hours of work, eh?

You make me blush.... thanks! :D :eek:

14. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

I have just tried an Automator script with a CR2 RAW file and it worked fine.
    Here's the workflow -

Attached Files:

15. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

16. amybee macrumors newbie

Help

Not sure if thread is still live, but I have a question. This is exactly what I was looking for in term of downsizing batches of high resolution images. I went through the tutorial, select 480, and when I run the service, it's still coverting the images to same size. I went back and reset it for 72...the same result. Then tried by percentage and set it to 25%...STILL converting to the same exact same size! :(

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong???

Thank you.

17. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

In Automator, make sure all the step are linked like in my example, with a triangle attached to the semi circle of the action below.

Attached Files:

18. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

I've created an iBook from my tutorial on Resizing Photo's with Automator.
    It's short, free and here if you want it.

Did it just to experiment with the whole iBook Authoring and publishing tool so I doubt I'll do any more.