Easy decision

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Mar 9, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Before we knew the pricing, for me it was a choice between the Sport in space grey, or the SS with blue leather loop.

Two things have changed.

First, they've re-rendered the blue leather loop and now it really does look "bright" blue as they describe it. I don't like it. They've added a black one. Don't like that one, either.

Second we now know there's £180 difference between the Sport with rubber strap and the SS with rubber strap. £180 for what? Different glass at the front (could I really tell the difference?) and different back (could I really tell the difference?).

The Sport is lighter and the space grey carries no price premium. And I honestly don't like any of the straps for the SS. Oh, and there's no distracting shiny silver band around the screen. The whole thing's black and the screen just glows out of it. Lovely.

Plus, I won't be too pissed off if the Apple Watch 2 comes out next year and is so much better. I will have spent £339 compared with £529.

So Space Grey it is. 42mm.

Two days late for my birthday :(

Am I missing something here? What else does the SS have apart from what I regard as invisible cosmetic/psychological differences?

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

In your last thread you hated Apple...and yes, we know it's late for your birthday. You kicked up a right stink in the other thread! I think you already know the answer. One is glass/aluminium/composite back, the other sapphire/stainless steel/ceramic back. That's it, not other differences. The cosmetics are not in fact invisible unless you cannot recognise aluminium from stainless stee. Psychological differences - well, that's your issue.

3. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

My only concern is Scratch resistace. Since all the specs are the same! Why no get the Sports Model?

4. franzkfk macrumors regular

franzkfk

We don't know how the aluminium is resistant to scratches. And since the Apple Watch is worn through the day there will be scratches for sure. Actually, on Apple Watch Sport site there is nothing written about wearing it all day and I think that's why they put these sentences to the Apple Watch (SS) site:

"Apple Watch is designed to be worn during all your daily activities, from morning workouts to nights out. That’s why we took a refined 316L stainless steel — an alloy that is remarkably corrosion resistant — and cold forged it to make it up to 80 percent harder. We also reduce impurities to achieve the mirror finish."

I'll go for the Tim Cook edition.

5. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

When I said invisible I was thinking of the screen and the back. Obviously the shiny SS is visibly different, but I actually think I prefer the matte black of the aluminium.

By psychological I mean will some people prefer the SS because they know the screen is "better" (is it?) and the back is "better" (is it?).

6. franzkfk macrumors regular

franzkfk

I think it is better.

1) Ceramic vs. Composite back.

Ceramic is more scratch resistant than Composite (guess) and since you'll be charging watch daily with magnetic enclosure...hmm...come on, guys. There are sensors you don't want to scratch. Look at your iPhone connector!

2) Aluminium vs. Steel

They made their own alloys but this is certain - aluminium is softer than steel.

7. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

If the Sport had a sapphire screen, I might consider it. I don't think I've ever scratched a watch with a sapphire crystal.