Easy DVD Cloning

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rtsydup, Nov 2, 2009.

1. rtsydup macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a simple DVD Cloning Software for making copies of my DVD movies. I have two kids and they destroy the DVDs in the car, plane, etc. I was using fast DVD copy with great success but they are now shut down.

Would really appreciate the help.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

http://ripitapp.com/

B

3. rtsydup thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that this can copy a DVD onto my Mac. Can I then put it back on a DVD. Will it work with protected DVD Movies???

4. rtsydup thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that this can copy a DVD onto my Mac. Can I then put it back on a DVD. Will it work with protected DVD Movies???

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. Ripit will give you a 1:1 copy of the DVD on your HDD with all protections removed. FairMount http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/ is another way to get similar results, but I have found it to be a bit slow/flaky.

That's the hard part. Many tools that used to handle protected movies have removed that support.

Once you have it on your HDD, you can then do what you want with it. Handbrake to iTunes, burn it back to a DVD (many of the DVDs my kids used to watch were small enough to fit on a single layer disc, so you may not need something like DVDremaster, Toast or DVD2One to get them to fit.)

However, since DVDremaster is from the same folks as FairMount, it might be that it still includes support for removing CSS and other protection. So if you are looking for a single tool that might be it.

B

7. SamNeeds macrumors regular

I take it RipIt keeps the folder structure - VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, so if you were to try and watch a ripped DVD through, say, VLC, you may need to switch between VOB's?

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, DVDRemaster needs FairMount if you want to copy encrypted DVDs.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, but the .dvdmedia package it creates works wonderfully with DVD Player!

Thanks for clarifying that. FWIW the last time I tried FairMount it kept hanging up on a number of DVDs that even older Handbrake could deal with just fine.

B

10. SamNeeds macrumors regular

Even better...! I might pick this up - only $19!