Easy enough to add the bluetooth module and airport card?

adam11216

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
so, i'm impatient. customizing a mac pro with the bluetooth module and airport card adds 1-3 days to the order (and would then mean i'd need to get it shipped, instead of walking out with it). I'm sure the airport card is easy enough to pop in - is the bluetooth module also easy? And where can I pick up the bluetooth module? I couldn't find it on the apple site.

many thanks.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Unfortuately those are not user-replaceable parts so I'd advise you to customize your Mac Pro through the Apple store if you feel you need wireless connectivity and bluetooth.

Edit: After some perusing it seems some people have been able to purchase the Airport cards, (n) variety, from the brick and mortar Apple stores although I'll speculate that the Apple employee's were not supposed to sell them?

CPPhoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
purchased a AP + bluetooth for my mac pro today

if the genius isnt as knowledgable (or just old in my case) they will sell it to you.

If not, it can be done by a genius in probably 20 min (but have an appt. set up first)

the install was a lil tricky, figuring out which antenna wire goes with what, and they are hidden behind the mo.bo. but it went ok

adam11216

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
thanks for the suggestion - looks like it's immediate gratification for me! though i guess i have to decide if getting it right away makes up for having to lug it to 5th ave or soho in the future...

Toknee

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
NYC-The Big Apple
Installing the BT and Wireless Card were a breeze.

It's a little tight, but doable, and I have big fat fingers.

Have a really good set of electronics screwdrivers.

All the wires for the antenna on my MP where tucked away at the edge of the Mobo, took a little to find them, but installation proceeded without a hitch once I did find them.

The wire labeld BT is for the Ble Tooth Adapter, and wires 2 and 3 are for the Wireless Card, dunno what the 1 wire is for, possibly Pre-N Wireless cards, I know they typically have 3 antennas.

Good Luck!

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007

It's a little tight, but doable, and I have big fat fingers.

Have a really good set of electronics screwdrivers.

All the wires for the antenna on my MP where tucked away at the edge of the Mobo, took a little to find them, but installation proceeded without a hitch once I did find them.

The wire labeld BT is for the Ble Tooth Adapter, and wires 2 and 3 are for the Wireless Card, dunno what the 1 wire is for, possibly Pre-N Wireless cards, I know they typically have 3 antennas.

Good Luck!
Where did you get the card(s)? I'll probably be doing this as I'm not looking forward to lugging a MacPro into a mall for my closest Apple store.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Probably a stupid question, but is the Airport card the same form factor as the ones in the PowerBooks, MacBooks, etc.? And is the connector the pinned one of the Airport or the edge connector of the Extreme?

DZL

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
wirez

you might run into some problems with range and consistency in your BT connection - the BT wire isn't where you should've hooked up your bluetooth module - the #1 wire is.

DZL