Easy enough to add the bluetooth module and airport card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by adam11216, Aug 8, 2007.

1. adam11216 macrumors newbie

so, i'm impatient. customizing a mac pro with the bluetooth module and airport card adds 1-3 days to the order (and would then mean i'd need to get it shipped, instead of walking out with it). I'm sure the airport card is easy enough to pop in - is the bluetooth module also easy? And where can I pick up the bluetooth module? I couldn't find it on the apple site.

many thanks.

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Unfortuately those are not user-replaceable parts so I'd advise you to customize your Mac Pro through the Apple store if you feel you need wireless connectivity and bluetooth.

Edit: After some perusing it seems some people have been able to purchase the Airport cards, (n) variety, from the brick and mortar Apple stores although I'll speculate that the Apple employee's were not supposed to sell them?

3. adam11216 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. CPPhoto macrumors member

purchased a AP + bluetooth for my mac pro today

if the genius isnt as knowledgable (or just old in my case) they will sell it to you.

If not, it can be done by a genius in probably 20 min (but have an appt. set up first)

the install was a lil tricky, figuring out which antenna wire goes with what, and they are hidden behind the mo.bo. but it went ok

5. adam11216 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestion - looks like it's immediate gratification for me! though i guess i have to decide if getting it right away makes up for having to lug it to 5th ave or soho in the future...

6. Toknee macrumors member

Installing the BT and Wireless Card were a breeze.

It's a little tight, but doable, and I have big fat fingers.

Have a really good set of electronics screwdrivers.

All the wires for the antenna on my MP where tucked away at the edge of the Mobo, took a little to find them, but installation proceeded without a hitch once I did find them.

The wire labeld BT is for the Ble Tooth Adapter, and wires 2 and 3 are for the Wireless Card, dunno what the 1 wire is for, possibly Pre-N Wireless cards, I know they typically have 3 antennas.

Good Luck!

7. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Where did you get the card(s)? I'll probably be doing this as I'm not looking forward to lugging a MacPro into a mall for my closest Apple store.

8. Toknee macrumors member

www.fastmac.com

9. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Probably a stupid question, but is the Airport card the same form factor as the ones in the PowerBooks, MacBooks, etc.? And is the connector the pinned one of the Airport or the edge connector of the Extreme?

10. DZL macrumors regular

wirez

you might run into some problems with range and consistency in your BT connection - the BT wire isn't where you should've hooked up your bluetooth module - the #1 wire is.

DZL