Carrier Easy experience cancelling AT&T preorder in order to go Apple direct

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BinfordsTool, Sep 13, 2014.

1. BinfordsTool macrumors member

Just wanted to share what I did to cancel my AT&T preorder. Even though I had ordered at 3:08AM Eastern, my shipping time wasn't until November for a 6+ 64GB Grey.

I have an employee discount, so when trying to cancel via chat at the normal AT&T page, they told me I couldn't do so since it was a "Premier" line. The status page for Premier was also really buggy and slow, I went through that process and after an hour, nothing had happened.

Instead I went to twitter and sent a direct message to @ATTCustomerCare. If you never tweeted them before, you have to follow them/get a follow back for the DM to work. After that, I sent them a message saying I was cancelling my preorder, needed to reset upgrade eligibility. 10 minutes went by, they tweeted me back asking for a number to call to do the verification (last 4 of my social). 10 minutes went by, then they called, I gave the last four, they confirmed what I wanted to do, and boom- I was reset for upgrade eligibility, no waiting on hold, and all is well. In fact, I dare say the social media customer service team was some of the most helpful and quickest acting cs unit I've ever dealt with. I encourage you all to try this route if you don't want to sit around on hold for a while.

Now I'm re-ordered with a better shipping time through Apple. I'm not going to wait in line or rush- I have some patience, just not enough to wait until near Thanksgiving for a phone...

2. C0bra K0mmander macrumors regular

C0bra K0mmander

I just called 611, got a rep on the line and they were able to cancel and reset my eligibility date. Pretty simple. Off to apple.com I go

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

4. jwhazel macrumors regular

I've pretty much given up. I ordered from ATT around 4am on friday and have been trying to cancel for ~24hrs now ever since I received my reservation notice from Apple.

*Calling - Have tried 3 times to different #'s. Have been on hold for ~30 mins and just gave up.
    *Chat - I just get a message that says "All agents are currently busy", doesn't let me go any further or actually launch the chat.
    *Twitter DM - did what was suggested above a couple of hours ago because it seemed like a good idea, never heard anything back. Was pretty polite and civil in my message too.

I've only got a few hours left for my reservation from apple, I don't feel like I'm going to escape the ATT "black hole" that I've fallen into anytime soon. :rolleyes: