Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
When a client asks to be right next to the graphic designer,in order to make changes on wine bottle labels, how would you propose to work using the Adobe creative suite? The goal here is to easy change and make different proposals while the client is next to the designer and asks for changes. I was thinking to making a "smart object" of the labels typo in illustrator but one thing that i cant figure out, is how to apply different colorings to the label cause there might be an issue with the photo realistic shades that the bottle glass makes!

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
It's a very bad idea.

I did that once (letting the client watch/direct my work) and at the end the piece looked, and I felt, like crap. If the client wants to be the designer so bad, let them sit down and do the #$&*ing work themselves.

That's all the advice I have.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
You are absolutely right, on the other hand, there are different types of clients, some you can handle on issues like that, others you do as they like for several reasons (large account etc.). This is the latter! ;)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I would say that you should work the same way you work when they aren't sitting there with you. No reason to re-invent the wheel just because somebody is watching.

The more complicated the job, the less likely the client is to stick around for it... and they'll have a better understanding of what it takes to "JUST make a few changes."

Reactions: zoran

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Back in my days as a graphic designer I used to have a few clients who used to like to do this. You can try to dissuade them, but some just won't be dissuaded and if you want the business then you're going to have to do it.

That said, I always used to make it very clear that having the client next to me makes me work slower and they're paying for my time... if they want to do the work the expensive way then that's fine by me (and my bank manager!) ;-)

I agree with the above poster - just work as you always do.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Ahh, the dreaded ShoulderBeast:

workwankers-creative-illustrations_2.jpg

This is more common in some industries than in others... and I have always charged extra for it in the past. My "work and watch" rate is probably three times higher than my standard rate. I learned this from my broadcast colleagues where this is really common.

In terms of your label, I agree that smart objects (or multiple smart objects) are the way to go. Use Layer Styles like Color Overlay and Gradient Overlay to make modifications to them inside your PSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.