"Easy" iOS Fixes - Please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scuby, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Scuby macrumors regular

There are always a lot of threads about jailbreaking to get certain new features, and people with huge wishlists of new functionality within iOS, so thought i'd add a new category of wishlist - little changes, that could be as easy as Apple adding a couple of lines of code to iOS, that I think would make it much more usable and (for me) remove any need or desire to jailbreak.

- Prevent accessories disabling the iPod app - certain car connection kits, for example, will "lock" the iPod app when it's connected. Presumably this is done with road safety in mind, but let me choose! If i'm driving why can't my passenger change my music without unplugging my iPhone first? This is my biggie, the one reason why I choose to jailbreak my iPhone, yet which is annoyingly sooo simple to fix.

- Disable shake-to-undo - I can vaguely see why this might be useful in an iPhone, though i've never used it, but in an iPad, seriously? Please give me an option to turn it off!

- Time synchronisation - why oh why can't I set the time correctly on any wifi-only iOS device? I can't even manually correct it because seconds can't be reset. An occasional sync over wifi with an NTP server would be great. Even just syncing the time with my iMac when I connect it to iTunes would be fine.

There we have it. Three things i'd like to see fixed in iOS, things that should all be so easy to do - and my most important one (the first) requires at most a button in settings which provides that option, and an if statement somewhere else. Yes of course there are other nice-to-have changes, and things I really wish it could do but which I recognise are major additions, and that's not what I'm talking about here. Just little changes.

Don't suppose anyone who can do anything about it will ever read or take any notice of this, but if they do I really hope they can be fixed!

Cheers,

David

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Then don't shake the iPad. Seriously, why are you shaking an iPad anyhow?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Scuby thread starter macrumors regular

It's not deliberate, but often if I drop my iPad onto the sofa or the bed I find something's been undone (or a message telling me there's nothing to undo).

Just a minor one this one, but as it's an unnecessary feature, and falls into the category of easy to fix, thought i'd include it.

David

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Then don't drop the iPad. :D

Honestly, I really don't see this as a problem. Sorry.

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I agree with the shake to undo option. I often put my iPhone into the cup holder in my car and pick it back up to find the nothing to undo message. I don't think I have ever actually used the feature intentionally. Seems kinda gimmicky.

7. mltaylor macrumors regular

I listen to my iPhone thru my car stereo and every once in a while when I lay my phone down in my lap or beside me it skips to the next song and it is the most annoying thing ever.

I could see the use for it but I will never use it.

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Shake to shuffle is completely different. That can be disabled via Settings >>> iPod. Simple.

[​IMG]

9. mltaylor macrumors regular

Ah gotcha. Turning that off asap.

Shake to Undo sucks as well but it doesn't bother me

10. bengtc macrumors regular

even putting your iphone in your pocket triggers shake to undo. Thank god for jailbreaking.

and let me guess "don't put your phone in your pocket"

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I haven't had that issue and I often do house chores with my iPhone in my pocket.

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I really don't understand why the "shake to undo" bothers you so much. It's a popup that asks for permission or to cancel. Seriously, it's THAT bothersome? :rolleyes:

13. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Do you not lock the phone before putting it in your pocket?

14. bengtc macrumors regular

That's why the thread is "Easy" iOS Fixes - Please! Something simple as disabling shake to undo ala shake to shuffle should be an option. And I don't lock my phone just have autolock on.

15. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

And I don't understand why it bothers you so much that it bothers him. What are you, his mother? :D It all comes down to personal preference surely.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

That's not very smart, unless you don't care if someone else snoops into your phone.
    My car accessory doesn't do this to me. Maybe your country mandates this in all accessories sold. If that's the case, Apple isn't going to be stupid and try to circumvent that. Either that or buy a better car kit.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Oh, that's your problem. Apple is assuming you'll lock it before putting it in your pocket. Seriously, does anyone else not lock it first? I always thought it was common sense.

I will agree that having an option to disable shake to undo wouldn't hurt anyone.

18. Scuby thread starter macrumors regular

My old car kit didn't do it, but when I bought a new one from the same company (when I replaced my car) it did. It's the kind of thing that's not obvioud before you buy and fit the car kit, by which time it's too late to do anything about it. And it's much easier for Apple to add an option in Settings via a software update than it would be to replace all the car kits that lock the iPod app.

Not convinced on the safety issue, since it's only the iPod app that's locked - everything else works fine, and I suspect trying to write an email while driving would be much more dangerous than pressing the Genius button in iPod! :rolleyes:

Like I said in the original post, these aren't life-and-death problems, they're not things that are going to stop Apple selling millions more iDevices in the next few years, but they are just niggly little details that are soooo easy to fix that there's very little reason for Apple to not just add a little option button to turn a happy Apple customer into a very happy Apple customer. :)

David

19. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

There is only one real way to fix IOS in its present form, JAILBREAK your phone :eek::D

20. cbflip2000 macrumors regular

Which jailbreak app do you use to unlock the iPod app when an accessory is attached? Thanks.

21. Scuby thread starter macrumors regular

I found one called NoAccessorySplash - seems to do the job.

Just worries me that reliable, untethered jailbreaks seem to be getting slower, and so hoping Apple fix this before I next need to replace my iThingy.

David

22. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i HATE the shake to undo feature that is native to iOS. It is so darn annoying. I also plug my phone to an accessory cable in my car, play music then set it in the cup holder only to grab it again with that stupid message on the screen! If it was a simple toggle it would be forever turned off. To me, it's a worthless feature. I've never used it. i don't even know when it would be used. Each time it comes up it says "nothing to undo".

That's all.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Moving swiftly along...

Another easy fix would be to synchronize To-Do items from iCal.... Perhaps by iOS CCXX...