Easy iPod (intelligent?) Sync question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kirkbross, Dec 9, 2010.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Suppose I sync a few *selected* albums or artists in my library and then after that, sync the *entire library*... does iTunes know to NOT transfer the songs/albums that are already synced (already on the iPod) or does it transfer everything? In other words, when choosing "Sync entire music library" does it do a 'compare libraries' routine before blindly transferring everything?

I will find out soon enough... I did a sync by selecting all the *Artists* boxes but I think it's skipping a bunch of tracks because some of them are compilations. When it's finished (in a few hours*) I want to sync it again by choosing 'sync entire library' and I'm hoping it won't re-copy the 702 songs that will be on there once this first sync is done!

*why so long? ...because I'm using full res 44.1 / 16 bit WAVs and I have about 80 albums transferring over USB 1.0!

2. BASRification macrumors member

That is kind of why it is called "syncing." iTunes is smart enough to compare the contents of your iPod and find out what is changed and what needs to be added. Just set your desired settings and let iTunes take care of the rest.

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross