Easy matte look in Aperture?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lJoSquaredl, May 4, 2014.

1. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

Been doing lots of black & white photography lately, or at least low color, and I usually do high contrast pics but i've been growing fond of the matte look as well. Anyone know how to achieve this look in Aperture? Kind of a novice, can't seem to figure out how to crush the blacks correctly, I just get drier looking pictures.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Do you have an example of the look you are after? A link?

3. lJoSquaredl thread starter macrumors regular

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

5. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

That link for Lightroom shows "the way" to do it in Aperture.

I basically make a similar Tone curve, bringing up the shadows side and altering slightly.

I don't think I have any on Flickr now...I have yet to upload some Easter shots.
    I attached a quick sample where I pulled the shadows up and then adjust some. basically the black point is now a grey tone, and you can pull the highlights in some as well to adjust. nothing fancy in the attached image, just a quick adjustment and sharpening some.

Not sure if that was helpful. but Lightroom is similar enough to Aperture to get the idea.

Attached Files:

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

*can you upload an image you are having issues with?

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Use the same exact method in Aperture as in LR.

BTW I owned the same male/model of boat used in those photos and over many years not once did anyone even think of wearing a white dress on the boat. So those pics really stand out as fake setups, kind of corny.

The first black and white photo is one I which I had shot. I can do this with film by selecting the paper grade or perhaps by push processing the film and under exposing. But on a computer you do the exact same thing, narrow the contrast range.

8. lJoSquaredl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies! Alright I figured out how to raise the curve up on the shadows, i've only been working in Aperture a day or two I guess I just gotta fiddle more. I appreciate the help tho:)

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

With new software, there is always a steap learning curve (pun intended:D). You tube tutorials are a great place for tips etc.