Easy Movie Making for Tweens

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blundery, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Blundery macrumors newbie

My son is getting a flip digital Video camera for Christmas (spoiled boy!!) to support his budding (but very, very amateur) film making interest. To date we've not had much success with using iMovie to edit video footage from our full featured video camera and the software just seems really complicated :confused:. Is there something out there that is more 'tween' friendly - or more friendly for me who is definitely an immigrant into the technology and Mac world that I am trying to live in?

We're not after Academy Award quality video editing and producing software, just something that an 11 year old could manoeuvre around successfully.

Thanks in advance for any recommends or advice.

2. sigamy macrumors 65816

I really think iMovie is your best bet. My son is 9 and he attended the two day, two hour iMovie camp at the Apple Store this summer. With a little help he was able to select his clips, add titles and music.

I think that after doing one or two projects together you and your son can figure out iMovie and then he can be productive on his own.

Another consideration is using iMovie HD which came in iLife '06. It's a bit more of a "traditional" video editing package and it may be easier for him.

Final option, especially if he is into animation is iStopMotion. It gets rave reviews for it's ease of use and power and is used in education. But, it is definetly geared for making your Legos move across the screen...
    http://www.boinx.com/istopmotion/overview/

Just be sure to check for compatibility with the Flip...I'm not sure on that.

3. Blundery thread starter macrumors newbie