Easy on/off iPhone 5 case to use just for car mount?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pinkoos, Dec 6, 2012.

1. pinkoos macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm looking for an iPhone 5 case that is easy to either slide or snap on/off, to be used solely for when I want to put the phone in a car mount.

I bought one of those Steelie mounts that someone referenced in this forum. It requires that you stick a magnet either on a hard-ish case or directly on the back of the iPhone.

I'd like to carry the phone without a case, but I don't want that magnet (though relatively small) stuck on the back of my phone.

So, what I want to do is find a case that I can *easily* slip or snap on/off when getting into and then getting out of my car. The magnet would go on the back of the case (instead of the back of the phone) and the case would just be left in the car, to be used solely for the mount.

Here's one rub, however: I also bought one of the ********** side wraps mainly to make the iPhone 5 easier to pick up and grip. So, the sides of the phone have a tad bit of thickness added to them. This may prove to be an issue for proper fitment of a case.

Also, apparently the magnet's adhesive won't work on "gummy" or silicone cases. I sent an email to the company asking about TPU cases, but they never responded back.

So, to be safe, I probably need a hard back case or at least a case where a portion of the back (preferably the center) is made of hard material.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. ilove iOS macrumors newbie

I have never heard anything bad about steelie mounts and for that reason I would recommend it. Personally I use a leather case and if I am in the car I use the mount here

I hope that it helps!!!! :)

3. pinkoos thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure why the name was x'd out, but it's S t i c k e r b o y.

4. meistervu macrumors 65816

to OP, that is a great idea. I too looked at Steelie mounts and though that the idea of using a magnet is great, but didn't want to have a permanent disc glue to my phone.

Now if we can find a case that is easy to take off, we are set.