Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteJames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
England
I want to read more books on my macbook pro but i find the white on black to harsh. I've found the kindle reading app but the only decent reading background colour it offers is sepia which is better than the white or black backgrounds on the eye but I was hoping for much more. I kind of want an app that makes my macbook screen look like a book or like a kindle - something that is easy on the eye to make reading more pleasurable and less tiring. I don't think tofu supports kindle or ebook formats either so seems more like a copy and pasting window.

Is there anything out there?

Last edited:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It's not possible to alter the hardware via an app. Books and Kindles are not backlit. Your screen is. That's the core issue.

PeteJames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
England
It's not possible to alter the hardware via an app. Books and Kindles are not backlit. Your screen is. That's the core issue.

So it is the backlighting that is the problem really. I do like to keep the screen on low lighting mostly so that would see probably. Is there nothing that makes it seem less harsh - certain colours can be easier on the eyes for example. Even on minimum setting the macbook does seem quite bright

Last edited:

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
So it is the backlighting that is the problem really. I do like to keep the screen on low lighting mostly so that would see probably. Is there nothing that makes it seem less harsh - certain colours can be easier on the eyes for example. Even on minimum setting the macbook does seem quite bright

not sure if this will help, but there is a software that may help with your problem. It's just basic "easy on your eyes" stuff
F.Lux

Definitely look into that :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.