Easy portable book for new Mac convert

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skydiver32, May 27, 2009.

1. Skydiver32 macrumors member

Im getting my uMB after WWDC, so I don't yet have it.
    Anyway, I stopped in an Apple store today with a thumb drive in hand just to see how some of my documents looked in iWorks. However, I could not see my thumbdrive on the desktop. I didn't have much time so I left.

So to prevent future frustration, irriatation and wasted time, what is a good and portable (ie not dictionary size) reference book to carry around for when these moments arise.
    I was thinking the "For Dummies" but they tend to be overly simplistic, and there are a ton of them eg Macs FD, Macbooks FD, Os X FD, etc.

Which book would you guys recommend?

Thanks

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I am more interested in why the thumb drive didn't show up. I use them on both pcs and macs and works just fine. maybe they turn off external drives if that is possible. O'reilly makes good books. Also, ask the people at the apple store for suggestions.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

It may not have shown up simply because the Finder preferences were set for it not to show up on the desktop. I'm sure if you'd opened a Finder Window, it would have been in the sidebar. You can change the Finder preferences by going to Finder>Preferences (or Cmd-,) and clicking on the general tab. You can select what type of files you see on the desktop.

You know, if these situations ever arise, just flip onto Macrumors.com whilst you're on the computer in the store ;