Easy program to remotely access another computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by caradactal, Dec 21, 2011.

1. caradactal macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My parents are purchasing a new iMac and while they are okay at using the computer there are times they need help. Do you know of any remote access programs (preferably free) that I can install to help them on their end? We will both be using lion and we will not be on the same network.

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like using Logmein, its free for personal use, and its interface is better then teamviewer imo

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

No need to use a service or other software; Lion has VNC built in as Screen Sharing. Turn it on in the sharing preferences, make sure your router isn't blocking that port, and connect from another mac either by using the Screen Sharing application, or by typing VNC://theiripaddress in a browser window.

Or use iChat.

Another good way to connect is ShareTool; you'd need two copies but it makes secure connections over SSH for every bonjour service, from file and screen sharing to iTunes, iPhoto and printer sharing. Great stuff.

Rob

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

robgendreau hit the nail on the head. They're on the same network, use the built-in capabilities of the OS to connect and assist. Even better, use the "sneaker net" to go help them. Either way, no need to have extraneous services running when Apple has provided all you need.

7. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Ditto, except I think the OP said they would not be on the same network. In any event, OS X has this all built in.

If you want something extra that builds on what OS X has built in, "Slink" is a tool that I like. It runs more in the background, and isn't anywhere near as annoying as TeamViewer is with their sales pitch in the freeware version.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Oops, missed the NOT...