Easy real-life way to test whether your screen is indeed yellow...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ArztMac, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ArztMac, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Required materials:

• Natural, indirect light and a regular table
    • A plain white sheet of paper out of your printer
    • An iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or MacBook

Instructions:

Put the piece of paper on the table and the gadget of your choice next to it. Go to apple.com or any other page with a large clutter-free white background. Turn the brightness of the gadget down so it closely matches the sheet of paper during regular day light conditions (so not very bright at all, around 40-50%).

Then compare the two, which looks whiter? Which do you prefer reading from?

Chances are that most iPad (3rd gen.) units, which many describe as "warm" or "yellow", will match the whitepoint of the white piece of paper quite accurately.

If you have an older iPhone or iPad, which features a bright blue screen, it might look, and this will be VERY surprising to lots of folks, quite unnatural in comparison to regular paper when performing this simple test.

So the question is, do you want your iPad to resemble the look & feel of actual, old-fashioned paper (which you have been using all your life), or do you want a screen glowing in blue hue?

Post your results below.

2. bobright macrumors 601

Good test mine looks accurate and identical to the paper and I love it. This is the best screen yet. :)

3. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

Same here.. At first, I thought my 3rd generation iPad had the "yellow tint", but after doing this test, it looks much closer to the white sheet of paper. My iPad 2 looks almost too white now.

4. HeySamantha macrumors member

I gave my mom my iPhone4 when I got the 4S recently and just yesterday I was comparing the two. The iPhone4 must have this "blue" tint everyone is talking about because there was definitely a difference between the two phones. However, my iPhone4S("yellow" tint, I'm guessing) looked a lot brighter (both at 100% brightness) and hers almost looked... pinkish? idk how to explain it but I didn't like it at all. Not legit pink.. just.. off. it looked weird and very unnatural.

When I get my iPad this coming week it should be interesting to see what the screen is like. From the sounds of it, I like the idea of a bluer screen but enjoy the look of a more "yellow" screen. I like bright and vibrant. What can I say?! ;)

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Printer paper has optical brighteners in it, which basically means that it's blue.

So not the best comparison. A 6500K calibrated display will likely not match the paper.

But it depends on the time of day, where you live, what the weather is like…

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Don't forget the alignment of the planets.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Lol. Enjoy your yellow screens. I'll take anyone's "unnatural" screened pad who wants to go yellow.

8. ArztMac thread starter macrumors regular

ArztMac

Enjoy!!

----------

Surprising, isn't it? :)

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Whether or not it has a yellow tint or any other tint is clearly subjective, if you have to go through such tests to see it.

If you like the way it looks fine keep it, if not then either return it for another or return it and get some other tablet.

10. ArztMac thread starter macrumors regular

ArztMac

Actually, this test is highly objective as we are all using the same point of reference, a white sheet of office paper that more people have access in similar quality & color parity instrad of comparing it to LCD panels, of which there are hundreds, all individually calibrated.

Comparing vs a very similar point of reference tends to output more objective data.