Easy to install ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregrose, Dec 27, 2010.

1. gregrose macrumors 6502

Hey all, got 8gigs of ram I want to put in, im just wondering if it is a hassle & hard to put in or pretty easy & simple.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It will take you 5 minutes or less. A few screws, pull out the old RAM, put in the new and screw the panel back in place. Press the power button.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Note that you need to have a decent quality very small Phillips screwdriver. Do NOT try to do with a typical #2 Phillips or some half-arsed kludge because you didn't think ahead to stop by Sears or ACE Hardware or Radio Shack or somewhere and pick up a set of jewelers screwdrivers.

Cheap tools typically end up being more expensive than quality tools.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right. You will need a #00 Phillips screwdriver.

5. BlackJack325 macrumors member

I also wanna upgrade my RAM to 8GB.

Did you install yours already? Can you post pics?

Is there anything you have to reformat after you install the new RAM? OWC has pretty good deals on memory, where did you get yours?

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I get pissed when if Im ever in PC World, and I see the sign above the incompetent 'Tech Guys' saying 'RAM installed in 45 minutes or less!'

My God wow!!! They must be moving in only Super Duper slow Motion do achieve that zany speed.

7. Kyffin macrumors 6502

OWC is a good place to get it- they have videos on the site of how to swap it too (its as simple as it looks- not a long or a hard job).

Once done your mac will recognise the extra memory when you restart your computer- honestly you just turn it back on and away you go.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

9. BlackJack325 macrumors member

Nice! Ill definitely do that... Im not sure if my memory is exhausted. Im only recording 2 tracks at a time right now to test out the Garageband yesterday. I did notice some latency when using the MBP keyboard to make some drum beats.
    Also, GarageBand closed on me a couple of times?? Im using M-Audio's Fast Track Pro

I have a 17" MBP w/ 4GB of RAM 500GB HD @5200 RPM

10. Kyffin macrumors 6502

For the difference its made to what I use mine for I'd say its definitely worth it, sometimes I just load a load of intensive programs to laugh at how it manages it!

Hey what does Activity Monitor show for your memory usage? Actually, not looking at the ram usage in AM has saved me as much time as I probably gained from the performance boost but it should give you some insight into whether you need the extra. Cheers!

11. BlackJack325 macrumors member

It said 2GB free yesterday... Ill have to look more into it. How exactly do I know?
    Thing is, im just trying out this computer recording deal to see if I should use it and upgrade from my Roland VS-2000CD unit.
    Im wanting to use Logic 9 and the M-Audio 2626... wondering how its gonna deal recording 7 tracks simultaneously and play back about 12-13 tracks.
    So thats why Im thinking RAM upgrade is where I should be heading to.

12. BlackJack325 macrumors member

13. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hi, I found these links useful for reading Activity Monitor
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342
    http://mac.appstorm.net/how-to/os-x/making-the-most-of-activity-monitor/
    they came from this thread on memory
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1050473&highlight=activity+monitor+ram
    But I'm sorry, I don't have the first clue about recording audio! (there is a board here that may have more though...)

14. BlackJack325 macrumors member

lol, I appreciate the help either way!
    I do have a topic on it but no ones responded :(