easy to use 'forum' software/site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iriejedi, Sep 11, 2007.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

I would like to add a user comment section to my BLOG site (somethig like the awesome 'Mac Rumors forum for dummies' would be perfect). Thesite is really is less a blog than a football league site, and there is need to smack talk. I know dot Mac has a groups function that does seem to have potential, but it looks like it is for dot mac members only.....

Any other suggestions?

Of course I'd refer free and east to use my website skills do not go far beyond iWeb.

Thank you in advance

Iriejedi

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

The easiest-to-setup forum solution I've seen so far is Vanilla. I set it up for a client once and it only took about 10-15 minutes to get it ready to go.

3. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

is this web based? I do not have a web server that the instructions seem to imply you need.

I'm hoping to keep it web based.

let meknow if it can work with iWeb (dot mac) etc.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I can't tell you whether or not it works with .mac as I don't have an account to test it on. It does require PHP and MySQL, as well as CSS. These are very basic needs. I don't know if any forum solution that would work without these.
    Doesn't hurt to download it and give it a try...

6. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

AFAIK, .mac has neither php nor MySQL. You'll have to set up a forum on an external host of just have a single threaded "chatroom" type deal by using iWeb's built in javascript commenting function.

7. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

One of the easiest and simplest forum softwares to set up is phpBB. It's free and is easy to mod and work with. Not sure if it'll work with .Mac....but it's well worth checking out!

8. jonnylink macrumors 6502

what blog system are you using? Is it hosted (sounds like it is). Otherwise you could try Blicki or BBpress. You have to have a database in order to have a forum, so if you don't have that and can't get that then it's kind of impossible.

9. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

thanks for the advice

Thanks everyone - I found Yaho groups. Still sucks as contributors have to have a yahoo account but unlike dot mac... it is free.

While not optimal it will do the job.

Thanks for the other tips - I'll look at them if I ever go high tech.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

phpbb installations are hacked constantly. avoid avoid avoid. i like SMF.