Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiskers

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
PA
Hi!

I am looking for a SIMPLE, EASY TO USE screenshot app for my Mac. I want something that can capture an ENTIRE web page, not just what's showing on the screen. That is ALL it has to do! :)

I got "Screenshot Plus" for $2 and all it captures is what's showing on the screen. I can do that with Command-Shift-4!

Thank you so much for your recommendations!

Lynn

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Hi!

I am looking for a SIMPLE, EASY TO USE screenshot app for my Mac. I want something that can capture an ENTIRE web page, not just what's showing on the screen. That is ALL it has to do! :)

I got "Screenshot Plus" for $2 and all it captures is what's showing on the screen. I can do that with Command-Shift-4!

Lynn
While you're looking for a suitable screenshot app, you can go to Safari, File -> Export as PDF. Then open the PDF in the Preview app and File -> Export to a jpg/png/tiff file. I know this requires more steps, but will work while you're searching for a good screenshot app.
[doublepost=1463875759][/doublepost]
urm....Grab? It's under Utilities and included.
Grab won't capture an entire webpage, only what is shown on the screen.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Hi!

Lynn

Go to "Print" and choose "print to PDF".
[doublepost=1463876078][/doublepost]
While you're looking for a suitable screenshot app, you can go to Safari, File -> Export as PDF. Then open the PDF in the Preview app and File -> Export to a jpg/png/tiff file. I know this requires more steps, but will work while you're searching for a good screenshot app.
[doublepost=1463875759][/doublepost]
Grab won't capture an entire webpage, only what is shown on the screen.

Beaten - again! :)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Yes, evernote might do the trick:

https://evernote.com/pricing/?var=c&offer=www_menu

The web clipper allows you to clip: article, simplified article, full page, bookmark, screenshot (see below)

Took a screen shot via Evernote and this whole discussion up to "Write your reply..." was clipped even though it was not on the screen.

However for reasons I don't understand the web clipper sometimes only allows a screenshot - you have to choose the area on the screen to be captured.

Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 17.45.14.png

Reactions: Tiskers

Tiskers

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
PA
urm....Grab? It's under Utilities and included.

Thanks BP, appreciate the reply. But as another poster pointed out below, "Grab" doesn't do an entire web page. Darn!
[doublepost=1463879327][/doublepost]Ardchoille50, OldCodger, Mr Buzzcut and HDFan:

THANK YOU for the replies and the work-arounds! I really appreciate it! I'm trying out Evernote now... (I already have an Evernote account) and I'm trying out the screen capture feature. (THANKS FOR THE TIP!)

But unless I'm a little daft (entirely possible!) it doesn't seem like it is capturing the WHOLE web page. It is doing more than just what shows on the screen, but not the WHOLE page?!!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Capto, or Snagit will do that for you. Both are fairly simple, but they're not free.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I can't help thinking that someone with Automator skills could create a service that would fill this need. I looked at Automator, and it can probably be done, but my Automator skills aren't up to the task.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Hi!

Lynn
‘Voila Web Screenshot’, a free and independent browser extension forSafari and Chrome. http://www.globaldelight.com/blog/voila-3-8-4-introducing-voila-web-screenshot/

Tiskers

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
PA
try captur.
Thank you! I will look into that!
[doublepost=1463966935][/doublepost]
Capto, or Snagit will do that for you. Both are fairly simple, but they're not free.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post! I am going to check out all recommendations!
[doublepost=1463966980][/doublepost]
@Tiskers
Lynn, I have not tested it myself, but you may try Paparazzi!. It has very good user reviews. (And it's free ;)).
I have heard of Paparazzi actually... but it's not in the App store. I will search the web for it. THANK YOU!
[doublepost=1463967031][/doublepost]
I can't help thinking that someone with Automator skills could create a service that would fill this need. I looked at Automator, and it can probably be done, but my Automator skills aren't up to the task.

THANK YOU for the reply. I have no Automator skills, unfortunately!!! (I don't even know what it is!) :eek:
[doublepost=1463967065][/doublepost]
‘Voila Web Screenshot’, a free and independent browser extension forSafari and Chrome. http://www.globaldelight.com/blog/voila-3-8-4-introducing-voila-web-screenshot/
THANK YOU, Michaelgtrusa, I will check it out!
[doublepost=1463967097][/doublepost]
Thank you! I never mind paying for a good app.
[doublepost=1463967177][/doublepost]
The Evernote extension for Chrome is very good at capturing full web pages. The web page image is stored in the Evernote notebook of your choosing.
Highlystrange,
Thank you so much for the reply. I currently use Safari, but perhaps I should consider switching to Chrome. I have run across more than few things that are only available there. Hmmm.... !!!

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Well, I got an Automator workflow working, somewhat. It saves the pdf of an entire webpage, converts it to images and saves them to the desktop. However, it converts each page in the pdf to a single image, so I ended up with multiple images. I need to learn how to render all pdf pages as a single image.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Well, I got an Automator workflow working, somewhat. It saves the pdf of an entire webpage, converts it to images and saves them to the desktop. However, it converts each page in the pdf to a single image, so I ended up with multiple images. I need to learn how to render all pdf pages as a single image.
Can you share it?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Can you share it?
Sure, I've attached it to this post. This workflow is a folder action that takes any .pdf file dropped into the Downloads folder and converts each page in the file to a separate image and saves the images to the Downloads folder. The only thing missing is to be able to convert all of the pages within the .pdf file to a single .jpg image - which I don't know how to do. Perhaps someone can improve upon this automator workflow and share it with us.

This workflow should be saved to the following location: ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions (note the space in the last folder name). After that, all the user needs to do is open a webpage in Safari, go to File -> Export as PDF, choose the Downloads folder as the location, and click the Save button. The Automator workflow will do the rest. Keep in mind it takes a few seconds for the workflow to complete.

This may solve the OP's issue if someone can get it working properly.

Attachments

• PDF to Images.workflow.zip
    57.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Hi!

Lynn
Have you seen this article? Don't use the browser please. http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/201...er&utm_campaign=evergreen_comp_none_250516_gl

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Droplr (free on the Mac App Store with paid options) captures the entire foreground web page – it does this in order to immediately upload it to their servers with a short-form link. That may or may not be what you want, but it certainly includes what you mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.