Easy to use screenshot app, please?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tiskers, May 21, 2016.

1. Tiskers macrumors member

Tiskers

Hi!

I am looking for a SIMPLE, EASY TO USE screenshot app for my Mac. I want something that can capture an ENTIRE web page, not just what's showing on the screen. That is ALL it has to do! :)

I got "Screenshot Plus" for $2 and all it captures is what's showing on the screen. I can do that with Command-Shift-4!

Thank you so much for your recommendations!

Lynn

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

urm....Grab? It's under Utilities and included.

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

While you're looking for a suitable screenshot app, you can go to Safari, File -> Export as PDF. Then open the PDF in the Preview app and File -> Export to a jpg/png/tiff file. I know this requires more steps, but will work while you're searching for a good screenshot app.
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2016 ---
    Grab won't capture an entire webpage, only what is shown on the screen.

4. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Go to "Print" and choose "print to PDF".
    Beaten - again! :)

5. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Evernote or one note clippers do what you want

6. HDFan macrumors 6502

Yes, evernote might do the trick:

https://evernote.com/pricing/?var=c&offer=www_menu

The web clipper allows you to clip: article, simplified article, full page, bookmark, screenshot (see below)

Took a screen shot via Evernote and this whole discussion up to "Write your reply..." was clipped even though it was not on the screen.

However for reasons I don't understand the web clipper sometimes only allows a screenshot - you have to choose the area on the screen to be captured.

Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 17.45.14.png

7. Tiskers thread starter macrumors member

Tiskers

Thanks BP, appreciate the reply. But as another poster pointed out below, "Grab" doesn't do an entire web page. Darn!
    Ardchoille50, OldCodger, Mr Buzzcut and HDFan:

THANK YOU for the replies and the work-arounds! I really appreciate it! I'm trying out Evernote now... (I already have an Evernote account) and I'm trying out the screen capture feature. (THANKS FOR THE TIP!)

But unless I'm a little daft (entirely possible!) it doesn't seem like it is capturing the WHOLE web page. It is doing more than just what shows on the screen, but not the WHOLE page?!!

8. bdct macrumors newbie

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Capto, or Snagit will do that for you. Both are fairly simple, but they're not free.

10. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

@Tiskers
    Lynn, I have not tested it myself, but you may try Paparazzi!. It has very good user reviews. (And it's free ;)).

11. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I can't help thinking that someone with Automator skills could create a service that would fill this need. I looked at Automator, and it can probably be done, but my Automator skills aren't up to the task.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

‘Voila Web Screenshot’, a free and independent browser extension forSafari and Chrome. http://www.globaldelight.com/blog/voila-3-8-4-introducing-voila-web-screenshot/

13. highlystrange macrumors member

highlystrange

The Evernote extension for Chrome is very good at capturing full web pages. The web page image is stored in the Evernote notebook of your choosing.

14. Tiskers thread starter macrumors member

Tiskers

Thank you! I will look into that!
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2016 ---
    Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post! I am going to check out all recommendations!
    I have heard of Paparazzi actually... but it's not in the App store. I will search the web for it. THANK YOU!
    THANK YOU for the reply. I have no Automator skills, unfortunately!!! (I don't even know what it is!) :eek:
    THANK YOU, Michaelgtrusa, I will check it out!
    Thank you! I never mind paying for a good app.
    Highlystrange,
    Thank you so much for the reply. I currently use Safari, but perhaps I should consider switching to Chrome. I have run across more than few things that are only available there. Hmmm.... !!!

15. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Well, I got an Automator workflow working, somewhat. It saves the pdf of an entire webpage, converts it to images and saves them to the desktop. However, it converts each page in the pdf to a single image, so I ended up with multiple images. I need to learn how to render all pdf pages as a single image.

16. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Can you share it?

17. ardchoille50, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Sure, I've attached it to this post. This workflow is a folder action that takes any .pdf file dropped into the Downloads folder and converts each page in the file to a separate image and saves the images to the Downloads folder. The only thing missing is to be able to convert all of the pages within the .pdf file to a single .jpg image - which I don't know how to do. Perhaps someone can improve upon this automator workflow and share it with us.

This workflow should be saved to the following location: ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions (note the space in the last folder name). After that, all the user needs to do is open a webpage in Safari, go to File -> Export as PDF, choose the Downloads folder as the location, and click the Save button. The Automator workflow will do the rest. Keep in mind it takes a few seconds for the workflow to complete.

This may solve the OP's issue if someone can get it working properly.

Attached Files:

18. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Lynn, just click on "Paparazzi!" in my post, it will lead you to the website where you can download it.

19. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

That looks like a very nice and useful utility. Thanks for the link.

20. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

You are most welcome.
    There are good reviews, but I have not tried it myself.

21. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

It works perfectly! Exactly what @Tiskers originally asked for. I'm on El Capitan and I'm not seeing any security issues or bugs. And, it's free!

22. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I am glad you like it. And you will be able to help Lynn, if she needs assistance with the application. :)

23. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Have you seen this article? Don't use the browser please. http://www.opera.com/blogs/news/201...er&utm_campaign=evergreen_comp_none_250516_gl

24. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Droplr (free on the Mac App Store with paid options) captures the entire foreground web page – it does this in order to immediately upload it to their servers with a short-form link. That may or may not be what you want, but it certainly includes what you mentioned.